DAC1 OR DA10 for classical music?
Jun 10, 2007 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

lcp12345

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy a DAC for my sound card (RME9632) and my old CDP (to go balance). Many people stated that DAC1 had a clean and cold sound. Soundstage is better than DA10. This seems that more suitable for classic(orchestra music). I have a chance listen to DA10. It sounds warm and seems quite good to my ear for classic music.

Any idea?

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 19
You can't loose with either, especially with the latest DAC1. I went with the DA10 back in Jan 06 for very similar reason to you with additional reasons being that the headamp in the Lavry was an added bonus which was a serious adder for me.

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 19
yup, you're right. the Dac-1's soundstage is better than the soundstage of the Lavry... it also has a better treble. Nevertheless, the imaging on the lavry is certainly a reason why it would be a better "classical" dac. the difference between the two is really a "preference" kind of thing rather than a "better."

while you're at it, i think you should consider the channel Islands VDA-2/VAC-1

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks slwiser and granodemostasa,
I prefer DA10 more according to the listening experience. the body of string is full and very impressive to me.

For CI VDA-2/VAC-1, my friend alos recommends it. But, I want to go balance. Hence, it is not in my consideration.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcp12345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks slwiser and granodemostasa,
I prefer DA10 more according to the listening experience. the body of string is full and very impressive to me.

For CI VDA-2/VAC-1, my friend alos recommends it. But, I want to go balance. Hence, it is not in my consideration.

The VDA-2 can be balanced - you just need an adapter.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockturne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VDA-2 can be balanced - you just need an adapter.

Do you mean a RCA to XLR adapter? But, I don't like this type of conversion because I have listened to XLR to RCA in my office. There is big sonic different between them.

hence, I will consider one with XLR out.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 19
the VDA-2 has inverted RCA signals out... so a 2xRCA to XLR would actually be in balanced operation.. unlike other dacs.

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't loose with either, especially with the latest DAC1. I went with the DA10 back in Jan 06 for very similar reason to you with additional reasons being that the headamp in the Lavry was an added bonus which was a serious adder for me.

I wonder how good really is the headphone amp of Lavry.... I mean could we compare with standalone amps like HeedCan amp, Cordia Aria, OBH 21SE......?
Or is it better than those?

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how good really is the headphone amp of Lavry.... I mean could we compare with standalone amps like HeedCan amp, Cordia Aria, OBH 21SE......?
Or is it better than those?

It is not as good as my AT-HA5000.

It is very near a maxed out M^3.

It probably is as good as a Gilmore Lite with power supply from what I have read from other comparisons. It may be as a few have suggested as good as the GS-1? These I remember reading over the passed couple of years in various places. I don't remember reading any direct comparison concerning those you listed.

It is very good for low impedance headphones. The XLR outs are to be used with the higher impedance headphones.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not as good as my AT-HA5000.

It is very near a maxed out M^3.

It probably is as good as a Gilmore Lite with power supply from what I have read from other comparisons. It may be as a few have suggested as good as the GS-1? These I remember reading over the passed couple of years in various places. I don't remember reading any direct comparison concerning those you listed.

It is very good for low impedance headphones. The XLR outs are to be used with the higher impedance headphones.

Any thoughts about amping with Lavry the AKG 701? Is there a match? I'm kind of aiming for that and i want to know if its worth the effort....

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any thoughts about amping with Lavry the AKG 701? Is there a match? I'm kind of aiming for that and i want to know if its worth the effort....

I have no experience with the AKG 701, sorry. But I can't believe that the Lavry would not sound very good using it's headphone out jack with the ~70 ohm impedance AKG 701.

Here is a link to some impressions that have the 701 and Lavry in the same context which you may find someone to PM for more specfics. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...7&postcount=39 Others on this thread did not find the Lavry Headamp as high performing as I have. Everyone has their own opinions and you have to determine what can satisfy yourself.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 19
How much does the lavry black da 10 weight? In kilos?

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 19
I've used both quite extensively (one year for the DA10 and several years for various versions of the DAC1). The sound is very similar, as it is with almost every high-end DAC I've heard. Yes, there are differences, and people will go to great lengths, and use very colorful language, to describe those differences. But you must understand that these differences are trivial compared to your choice of speakers or headphones.

Either one will sound great. I personally would recommend the Benchmark DAC1 USB (not so much because of its sound, but because of its flexibility), but the Lavry DA10 sounds wonderful also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back