DAC1 - only for senns? (directly)
Jun 21, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Though I may upgrade at some point, I have some woodied Darth Beyers that seem to sing with the DAC1
biggrin.gif
(www.headphile.com)

In fact, my better judgment tells me that an upgrade isn't necessary, though that fact is beginning to get lost in the constant quest for audio nirvana.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 9
In addition to the Sennheiser HD580/6xx lineup, imo:

Audio-Technica W2002's
AKG K270S & K271

The Benchmark has a decidedly bright presentation, that works well with headphones that need a bit of waking up, such as those mentioned above.

I didn't think the RS-1's were at their best with the Benchmark (again, imo).

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I liked the RS-1 a great deal from it, and of course my current infatuation with the SA5000, which is an even better match than Senns (IMO).

I am beginning to agree with this, DAC1 SA5000 is a great combo.

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 9
DAC1 with K501 is pretty good.

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 9
I think it's pretty difficult to recommend synergistic amps/sources.

What might sound too euphonic and colored to one person might be too analytical for another person.

For example, for me, the RA-1 sounds inferior to most other amps in its price range when paired up with Grado headphones.

The DAC-1 is a good source and will sound good with any decent headphone which is why you are receiving such a diverse set of opinions.

I think the rest is up to personal preference. Just my opinion...

-Matt

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
What might sound too euphonic and colored to one person might be too analytical for another person.

Exactly, for example, I didn't find the DAC1 a good match with SA5K's at all - way too top heavy. But two of the esteemed posters above would beg to differ.

In also depends to which synergy school one belongs. I am more of a match opposing strengths kind of guy than an advocate of pairing equal strong suits.

So, IME, TME, IMS, IMO, and all that jazz, the DAC1 is good with heavier, warmer phones; I loved it with the DT770 and AKG240s. But with faster fare like the mentioned SA5K or CD3000, the sound just wasn't right.

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 9
IMHO, DAC1 built in amp was only OK with Ety 4S for similar reasons to those mentioned above (emphasis on upper frequencies, a little bass-shy). Compared with the Gilmore Lite or the SR-71 (using DAC1 as source), the DAC1 amp has less bass impact and soundstage depth with the Ety's (particularly compared with the SR-71). All IMHO.

Intererstingly, the DAC1 amp can produce decent music with the AKG K1000's. I used it before I got the RKV (using a Headphile 1/4" adapter). Excellent clarity and soundstage but lacking bass depth and slam, and lacking "guts"...a little hollow sounding. Works for some classical or acoustic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back