DAC1 benchmark
Apr 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

needanamp

100+ Head-Fier
sounds like the perfect usb DAC. HOwever, it has a headphone amp included. i really dont wan this. please, consider my desired setup:

laptop - DAC1 - speaker amp - speaker
- headphone amp - headphone.

So basically, i can interchange the headpohne amp or speaker amp depending on how i want to hear my music. Annoyingly, many DAC's DAC1Benchmark included, have a headphone amplifier. Surely this would be silly if i had a rca from the headphone out to the speaker amp - speaker. a more desirable option would be just a DAC, which would feed either speaker amp or any headphone amp of my choice (aka Heed.)?

WOuld the DAC1's headphone out be fine to connect to my speaker amp via RCA interconnects, or would a dedicated DAC(meaning no headphone amp attached) be better???

If, as i suspected, i need a simple DAC with no headphone amp attached, could you list a few that have a good reputation, below $1000?

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like the perfect usb DAC. HOwever, it has a headphone amp included. i really dont wan this. please, consider my desired setup:

laptop - DAC1 - speaker amp - speaker
- headphone amp - headphone.

So basically, i can interchange the headpohne amp or speaker amp depending on how i want to hear my music. Annoyingly, many DAC's DAC1Benchmark included, have a headphone amplifier. Surely this would be silly if i had a rca from the headphone out to the speaker amp - speaker. a more desirable option would be just a DAC, which would feed either speaker amp or any headphone amp of my choice (aka Heed.)?

WOuld the DAC1's headphone out be fine to connect to my speaker amp via RCA interconnects, or would a dedicated DAC(meaning no headphone amp attached) be better???

If, as i suspected, i need a simple DAC with no headphone amp attached, could you list a few that have a good reputation, below $1000?

Where's the problem?
Just ignore the headphone amp.
The DAC1 does provide RCA and XLR connectivity at the back.You don't have to use the headphone amp out in order to connect it to an amp (although it would be possible).

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 11
The Benchmark has RCA & XLR analog-outs on the back. You can set it to vary those outputs (acting as a pre-amp), or to feed a static signal (and use an integrated amp's or another headphone amp's own volume control), with a simple switch.

There's a great thread over in the Dedicated Source forum on the USB-DAC1. Benchmark's own support team is a regular contributor there. Check it out!

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 11
let me get this straight, the 'advanced usb audio solution' does everything that ASIO or kernal streaming does,i.e bit perfect playback, without the software configurations and hassle??

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 11
I have the old Benchmark Dac, and it is the best piece of hifi equipment that I have bought. It is connected to my Fisher 500c, and I switch between speakers (vandersteen 1c's) and the headphone jack of the 500c. Sometimes I use the headphone jack of the Dac, and to tell the truth, I can't tell the difference between it and the 500c. In short, you I don't think you can go wrong with the DAC. It will truly determine the quality of sound you get out of your headphones or speakers, assuming they are up to the task.
Noel

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nblis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the old Benchmark Dac, and it is the best piece of hifi equipment that I have bought. It is connected to my Fisher 500c, and I switch between speakers (vandersteen 1c's) and the headphone jack of the 500c. Sometimes I use the headphone jack of the Dac, and to tell the truth, I can't tell the difference between it and the 500c. In short, you I don't think you can go wrong with the DAC. It will truly determine the quality of sound you get out of your headphones or speakers, assuming they are up to the task.
Noel

x2

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 11
I just got one last week and its all good from here. Truly plug and play and sounds great. You won't be sorry if you decide on one.

Frank

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 11
I have two with a 3rd en route.

After you get one Benchmark DAC1 USB you'll be jones-ing for one at every listening station!

You say you don't want the amp now, but believe me, you will.

Keep it in the chain as you designed and slowly do some a/b's with your other headphone amp. I'm willing to bet that your cans spend more time plugged into the DAC1 than anything else.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Add another vote for the DAC1's headphone amp. It's very good. Best audio component I've ever bought... except, perhaps, for the Graham Slee Reflex phono stage. Buy one. You'll like it, and you won't need a separate headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back