DAC
Sep 12, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what I am wondering is if a $200 get rid of the need for a desktop DAC?

Could you rephrase that. $200 -inside- your wallet won't do your headphones any good.

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Depends what you are using as your source/transport. If you are planning on using a laptop with an analog line out then I would say you would see a HUGE improvement in sound with a DAC (either a USB DAC or if your computer has an optical out you can use that).

If you've already got a really nice CDP, a $200 DAC might not get you any improvement at all and will simply add another link in your chain.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Since I read in your other thread that your coming from a portable rig, no amp is going to make a bad source sound good and you don't want to amplify flaws. Seems that there are not too many $200 giant killer sources and your headphones and amp both would cost more. I'm a proud believer in headphones, source, and then amp in that order (none can be crap).

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 6
One fellow here got a used da10 for 200$ when he went to a garage sale for cheap chairs. He grabbed it in a flash. Otherwise I can't think of any good dacs for 200$. Haven't tried zhaolu so not sure.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 6
A Zero DAC, upgraded version + the HDAM opamp unit comes to somewhere around $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back