DAC with variable output and volume control?
Jan 24, 2009 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

reemixx

Head-Fier
I'd like some recommendations for some sub-AU$400 DACs with integrated headphone amps that also have ability to control volume to the output. The reason for this is that I want to control the volume to my Audioengine 2 speakers without having to use their rear volume knob. My preference is for optical input, but USB or firewire is also fine. Headphone amp need only be decent not exceptional as I will likely buy a dedicated amp in the future, but it will need to tide me over for a while yet.

Sound preference is neutral to slightly warm. Something that offers a wide soundstage is also preferable.

My current setup is:
iMac -> Lexicon Omega via USB -> AD700 (headphone out) and Audioengine 2 (dual mono out)

The DAC/amp will be replacing the Omega. I'd also like the new DAC to offer an improvement over sound quality from the Omega, even if it's only a slight improvement (the reasons for upgrading are the annoying form factor - it's tall rather than wide - so placement on my desk is less than optimal, plus I don't need all the inputs and outputs just for listening, and the headphone amp is a little on the harsh side).

Some possible options include:

Beresford TC-7510 MK6 - it's cheap (AU$262 with shipping). But will it offer improved sound quality over Lexicon Omega? I guess it's cheap enough that if it's not great, I haven't wasted too much money. Thoughts?

Zhaolu D2.5 - cheap enough if I don't bother with the discrete head amp upgrade (AU$330), but is it worth it without? With upgrade, it will be AU$420, slightly over budget. And is it THAT much better than the stock Beresford for this price?

Apogee Duet - didn't particularly want to opt for another recording audio interface again, but at least its form factor is much better for placement in my setup. Kind of pricey though, especially in Australia so I'd have to source it from somewhere else, and I'm guessing the headphone amp won't be any better than above two choices? Is the DAC a heck of a lot better?

Are any of these options a good idea? What other options do I have for less than AU$400? Should I be waiting for the new Audio-gd Compass? Does that even have a variable output?

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 19
I know you didn't want another recording interface, but the EMU 0404 USB has a plethora of options for various setups and is a very nice DAC. It also has balanced outputs in the back!

Only downside is a number of people say the HP out isn't so great on the EMU 0404 USB, but I find it adequate until I manage to come up with the funds for one of the amps I've been eying.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks Taikero. The 0404 is an option, but I might as well just stick with what I have. For one, it's not aesthetically pleasing, but more importantly, I think it will actually sound worse than my Omega.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 19
Couldn't tell you if it's an upgrade or downgrade, but I have noticed a lot of people keep the EMU 0404 USB around after they upgrade to better DACs because of its versatility.

Go with your gut. I've heard great things about the Zhaolu and the Apogee Duet as well.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 19
Heh, so have I, hence the problem :p

Honestly just wondering if there's any obvious (or not so obvious) choices that I've missed before I go with any of my listed options.

Do the Yulong DAH1 or Musland MD10 have variable outs by any chance?

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 19
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 19
So, after thinking for a bit, I'm taking the Apogee Duet out of my possible options list. It's simply too expensive for something I don't need.

I think the Yulong DAH1 has variable outs, but I think I'll remove it from my list also due to price and also lack of analogue volume control.

So that leaves the Beresford and Zhaolu D2.5.

Keeping them both at stock components, I'm leaning more to the Beresford simply due to the lower price.

I'm also guessing a Beresford + dedicated head amp such as the Little Dot MKIII later down the track will sound better than the Zhaolu D2.5 with discrete head amp upgrade.

Is this decent enough logic?

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 19
While it's on promo sale, the Audio-gd Compass would fit the bill. Excluding shipping it's within your price range. The Duet and the like will sound analytical and cold, because they are audio recording units.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 19
Yes. By default, it's a headphone amp, but it can be had with a pre-amp output that uses the headphone amp section as a volume control.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 19
Alrighty. I guess it's another option then, though I'm not sure what the 'promotional price' is and when it's shipping etc. The thread on it is quite lengthy and I haven't bothered to sift through it all. I've read your recent comments about it though; not really sure what to think. Plus, a bit hesitant to drop so much money on something so new.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 19
Well that's my natural reaction, yes. In the meantime, I might settle on another DAC/amp. Don't really want to wait too long, and don't want to go too over budget.

Does AU$420 seems too high for Zhaolu D2.5 + headphone amp upgrade? If it beats the stock Beresford in DAC quality and is a huge improvement for headphones, I'm guessing it'd be worth the extra $158 over the Beresford?

Thoughts?

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 19
I'm pretty much set on a Zhaolu D2.5 and will probably order within the next few days. It will have the AD1852 DAC chip and head amp upgrade, and I'm not sure if Coem Audio also ship the unit with cap mods. I have a feeling they do, but will have to ask to confirm, and find out exactly which mods they do.

With the upgrades, it'd be my guess the Zhaolu will be worth the price over the Beresford in sound quality.

I figure the Zhaolu is a good place to get me started with op-amp rolling and playing around with different stuff to see how it sounds, compared to the Beresford which I can't really do a heck of a lot with. Having a good sounding headphone amp right from the get-go is also a good thing. Bit more than I was willing to spend, but should tide me over for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back