DAC with display that shows "Bit Depth"???
Feb 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DAC gives no info, but my AVR does - so i can be sure that my SB3 output is right (it also shows the bit rate, depth etc on the.SB3). I don't typically use my pc hooked up to my DAC.

What kind of AVR do you have?
smily_headphones1.gif

....Oh, and I'm still considering an Audio-gd DAC like yours to replace my KECES, but I would really like a DAC that at least shows the incoming sample rate (yeah I know, I am a strange dude) =P

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorlac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you might be having issues with your PC sending a bit perfect signal to your DAC. Have you seen this thread?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ea...torial-402765/

Yes I have read that thread. I'm using M-Audio ASIO under foobar2000 output. I try ASIO4ALL but couldnt get it to play using foobar2000. But in ASIO4ALL config settings it reports that my M-Audio Audiophile 192 S/PDIF out only supports 8-96khz
confused.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

You might want to post in that thread, but I am guessing you are using Optical SPDIF. Trying using coax SPDIF instead and you may get 192kHz if your DAC supports it.

I can play a 24bit 192KHz file in foobar2000 -> from M-Audiophile 192 ->coaxial-> 840C DAC with no problems. The 840C displays that it is receiving 192KHz sampling rate but it does not show if it is receiving in 24bit....

dis840c.jpg

At this stage im still trying to work out if the 840C can displays the correct info and if the M-Audio Audiophile 192 is sending in 24bits.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 39
Per Wikipedia:

S/PDIF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

S/PDIF is meant to be used for transmitting 20 bit audio data streams plus other related information. To transmit sources with less than 20 bits of sample accuracy, the superfluous bits will be set to zero. S/PDIF can also transport 24 bit samples by way of four extra bits, but not all equipment supports this, and might ignore these extra bits.

Per your 840C manual

http://www.audioadvisor.com/pdf/CA840C.pdf

Quote:

The incoming word length (16 to 24 bit) and sample rate will be
displayed along with the indication that the data is being upsampled to
24 bit/384kHz. Note that rather than exact word width, some sources
report data as either 20 bit maximum (displayed as < = 20) or 24 bit
maximum (displayed as < = 24).

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #24 of 39
Hey Zorlac thanks for the links. So i had a quick read on the wiki and from my understanding of the S/PDIF is that it can output in 24bit if my hardware supports it, other wise it can only output 20bit max.

So in my case assuming the 840C can display correct info, it seems that the M-Audio Audiophile 192 can only output 20bit max, correct???

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #25 of 39
I would guess your sound card SPDIF signal is 24 bit, and your DAC probably decodes it as such. I have heard that a lot of companies do not follow the SPDIF standard completely by the book, so maybe your DAC is just a little confused when it tries to determine the Bit Depth (aka Word Length) to output to the DAC's display screen.

Kinda what it says in the manual:

Quote:

...Note that rather than exact word width, some sources
report data as either 20 bit maximum (displayed as < = 20) or 24 bit
maximum (displayed as < = 24).

I am not totally positive though. Make sure you are setting your OS and Foobar to output 24bit.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Zorlac thanks for the links. So i had a quick read on the wiki and from my understanding of the S/PDIF is that it can output in 24bit if my hardware supports it, other wise it can only output 20bit max.

So in my case assuming the 840C can display correct info, it seems that the M-Audio Audiophile 192 can only output 20bit max, correct???

All DACs can only output a max of 20bit. As far as I am aware, there is not a DAC on the market which can output more than 20bits, even the very top professional DACs. In fact, I would be surprised if your DAC can output more than 18bits.

I've just looked up this M-Audio card and it does indeed have a maximim output of 18bits.

G

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All DACs can only output a max of 20bit. As far as I am aware, there is not a DAC on the market which can output more than 20bits, even the very top professional DACs. In fact, I would be surprised if your DAC can output more than 18bits.

I've just looked up this M-Audio card and it does indeed have a maximim output of 18bits.

G

That makes no sense.

And please link/quote your M-audio findings, because I find no such info on their website or in the manual.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

That makes no sense.

And please link/quote your M-audio findings, because I find no such info on their website or in the manual.

M-AUDIO - Audiophile 192 - High-Definition 4-In/4-Out Audio Card with Digital I/O and MIDI

Click the link to "Specifications" and you'll see the following: "dynamic range:109dB @ 48kHz (A-weighted)"

This dynamic range can in fact be encoded in a modern 16bit (CD) file. Although technically (without noise shaped dither) you'd need 18bits. 24bit is defined by a 144dB dynamic range, so although this card can take a 24bit format input it can only output 18bits of it.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back