DAC with analog inputs
Oct 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadfart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a DAC with multi analog selection capability so that I do not have to swap cables to my amp when I want to listen to SACDs.

You probably get more sensible anwsers if you asked for a Pre-amp with a DAC built in if you want to keep the number of boxes down
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 33
So what the OP is really saying is that he needs a simple switchbox? I don't think the other options are really worth it. I am sure there are many professional studio devices which can accept a digital signal and a analog signal, however I think that's a bit over the top. A switchbox will do just fine for as far as I can tell.

Edit: After reading some posts again I can honestly say that I'm lost..

@ OP:
What you are trying to do is connect a SACD player and a DAC to your LD Amp without further pre-amping and what not? If so a switchbox is the answer.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or buy this

That looks good.

If only needing a USB DAC, with 2 sets of analog inputs (mini & RCA), headphone out (3.5 mm front), pre-amp out (3.5mm rear), and 12 watt speaker out - the Nuforce Icon would be a possibility for $199 and it is very small but powerful.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #21 of 33
Are you just trying to bust the OP's balls here, QQQ? It's his first post. Perhaps he didn't know he wanted a DAC + Preamp, he just knew what he wanted to accomplish. His description makes his needs pretty clear.

You want DAC and a source selector, toad. The options listed here do that well for a reasonable price. You could also buy a seperate source selectorand DAC, if that suited you better.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pre-amping has nothing to do with dac itself, so it's doesn't count.

Don't be so obtuse. You know exactly what he was asking, and are playing the semantics game over how he asked it.

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be so obtuse. You know exactly what he was asking, and are playing the semantics game over how he asked it.

Thanks for all the replies. My setup is on my nightstand, so I wanted to keep the number of stacked boxes to a minimum. It looks like I will purchase a simple switch box and purchase the Zero.

HeadphoneAddict. I really like the quote in your sig, it seems to fit people who are really no help and sit on a high horse. Purpose of these forums are to share experiences and aide each other in the journey, or for some people, to flex their ego.
icon10.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pre-amping has nothing to do with dac itself, so it's doesn't count.

Then we can't say "headphone amp with digital inputs" anymore, because converting digital to analog has nothing to do with the amplifier itself, so it doesn't count.

You guys make no sense.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #26 of 33
True! Dac, pre-amplifier and amplifier are all different parts/units of an audio system. They can be collected in one box though...

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True! Dac, pre-amplifier and amplifier are all different parts/units of an audio system. They can be collected in one box though...

And that one box can receive the name of the most important section (or the section around which the one box is built), like DAC in this thread.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's one way to look at it.
I see these as seperate functions, but for a significant segment of the market it is desirable to bundle some of these functions into one box. Not many would question the logic of a headphone amp integrated with a DAC, so why does a line stage/preamp look "odd" in the same context?
Considering that most people don't have 100 lbs amplifiers and 6 feet tall speakers, and most "quality" entry-level systems are CD or iPod based, I see the combination of a DAC and Preamp very desirable.
It makes even more sense to have a higher level of integration and offer a headphone amp with a preamp. Just think about a main system that usually drives speakers but late at night cannot be played - unless you plug in headphones. Isn't it more sensible to have the exact same sources and the exact same user interface for the headphone system as the speaker system?
I have to agree with some of the comments that the functions have to be kept as pure as possible, i.e. keep the analog inputs in the analog domain. Correctly implemented, the single-box solution can reduce cost (less interconnect, shared analog section, some sharing in the power supply) and optimize noise performance (short signal paths, designer has control over ground issues).
As long as we have digital and analog sources, the concept of a DAC with Preamp would continue to make sense. My 2 cents and I have to caution you that I am very biased regarding this topic...

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #30 of 33
So, Ori, when are you going to start making some more of those Dynaco preamps with your DAC built in? I missed the last one up here, and I'm in need of both functions
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back