DAC vs. CD player
Oct 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dugforeva

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I am planning on putting together a headphone oriented system and had a few questions. I plan on getting the following components: a DAC to listen to music from my PC, a CD player, a record player, Denon D7000's, a headphone amp. I have a few questions regarding the DAC and CD player.

I plan on listening to music mainly from the CD player and Record Player but we all know the convenience of music on the PC. I will rip all my cd's to my comp in a lossless format (most of my music is currently in the mp3 and apple aac form, though at a high bitrate).

Anyways it is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that there are no sound cards that could ever compare to a good DAC so purchasing a DAC is a must when wanting good quality sound from the PC.

With that said if I buy a high quality DAC do I need to invest in a high quality CD player and record player or do I just need adequate ones whose output I can run through the DAC.

I plan on spending around 2500-3000 on the system purchasing one component at a time so I was just wondering where I should be spending for high quality components or where I could save some money.

Any input would be appreciated.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 23
IMO the amp is the heart of the system. Get the best amp you can afford and build around it.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dugforeva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that said if I buy a high quality DAC do I need to invest in a high quality CD player and record player or do I just need adequate ones whose output I can run through the DAC.

Depends on the DAC. I can recommend the Benchmark DAC1, a high quality DAC and headphone amp. I use a cheap DVD player to feed my DAC1 HDR with excellent results.

DAC1 Series Overview Page | Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamikeith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the DAC. I can recommend the Benchmark DAC1, a high quality DAC and headphone amp. I use a cheap DVD player to feed my DAC1 HDR with excellent results.

DAC1 Series Overview Page | Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

Do most DACS double as headphone amps as well? Or would I need to purchase a separate headphone amp for less expensive DACS?

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 23
Some DACs will perform good regardless of the source, others won't fare as well. Hopefully some people will chime in with specific examples that work well with any source, or you could ask the manufacturer of the ones you've narrowed it down to what their thoughts are.

Even a good DAC might have an average headphone circuit. Just something to keep in mind if you hear good things about a DAC but haven't been able to find an opinion of its headphone support. Most DACs don't also act as a headphone amp, since the majority of them aren't specifically targeted at the headphone market and also don't have volume control.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 23
Also look into amps with an integral DAC, it might be a good option.
Depending on your budget and geographical location there are some good options.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 23
Since you're after a CDP and a DAC, have you considered a CDP with digital input? I know that the Cambridge Audio 840 has this facility, I'm sure there are others.

The advantages would one less unit and the sound signature would be independent of transport.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 23
I agree that the 840c is a good cdp, but for the same price the OP could have any of the following with money left over for beer:

- Benchmark DAC1
- Grace M902
- Corda StageDAC + good headphone amp from HeadRoom/Headamp/whoever

For those who insist on a good CD transport, I would be inclined to look at the Cyrus range if I had that kind of money for a CDP. I like CA, I own a CA amp, but I dont know that they are necessarily the best midrange choice.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 23
To clarify, I wasn't particularly recommending the CA, just suggesting a CDP that could also be used as DAC, and I know the CA can be.

I'll leave it to others to discuss what components are worth the price.

I do think there's something to be said for having a single unit for CDs and computer audio, if you're happy with the sound signature.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 23
Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking that in the long run it is probably best to purchase all components as high quality, though it will be expensive I think this will provide the best sound quality and ease of use.

Any CD player recommendations in the $500 dollar area. I would preferably like one that can handle sacds and dvd audio etc. Possibly any bluray players that do this but offer good audio? A multi disc changer wouldn't be bad either but I doubt there are any bluray ones.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 23
I view DAC as expensive external soundcards; there might be internal soundcards which are of high caliber but I am not familiar to any. Currently I use a SilverStone DAC which offers good sound for the price. I agree that you should focus costs on a good amp and build around that. There are some Headphone amps with built a built in DAC such as the CORDA SYMPHONY. As for CD players I like NAD amps and CD players which offer good performance for the price. I just picked up a NAD t585 for a silly low price that I plan on using as my source. I would suggest you look at their product line.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dugforeva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking that in the long run it is probably best to purchase all components as high quality, though it will be expensive I think this will provide the best sound quality and ease of use.

Any CD player recommendations in the $500 dollar area. I would preferably like one that can handle sacds and dvd audio etc. Possibly any bluray players that do this but offer good audio? A multi disc changer wouldn't be bad either but I doubt there are any bluray ones.

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player

I don't think there is anything else in this price range can play Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD....etc altogether.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #15 of 23
If you want SACD playback, look for a player that only does CD/SACD. There are some critical differences with universal players and the way they handle the digital conversion. Something like a used Marantz SA8001 is a good choice (I love mine) and it includes a decent headphone amp. For DVD-A, I picked up a used Technics DVD-A10 off Craigslist for $100. Since I don't have nearly as many DVD-A discs as SACDs, it's an excellent performer at a budget price.

I'm not too current on DACs. I recently picked up a Pass Labs D1 clone I need to finish, and intend that to be in the permanent system. But look around the threads here and read up - there are some members who are very knowledgeable.

Don't skimp on the turntable. This is one source where investing really pays off. However, if you haven't owned a turntable before, I strongly recommend buying a used entry level deck. Why? Because turntables are fussy, quirky and very personal. Until you've lived with one for awhile, you won't know what you really want. I had a Rega Planar 3 for awhile that was great, but eventually went with a suspended deck, the Michell Orbe. I would not have known that the Orbe was right for me without having had the Rega first, then moving to the Michell Gyrodec, and finally deciding to upgrade it to a full Orbe.

Take it slow with your system, as well. I know it's tempting to rush out and buy everything, but give it some time. Buy a component or two then use and enjoy. Get to know it and then carefully consider your next step. Don't worry, you can enjoy just having a few pieces.

Also, buy used gear. Your dollar goes a lot farther than buying newand most used audiophile gear has been babied. People typically sell their gear because it's unused or to fund an upgrade. It's rare to find someone trying to unload broken/problematic gear.

So take your time and enjoy each step along the way. Read and research a lot before you buy anything, and be sure to keep an eye on the For Sale Forum and Audiogon. Persistence and careful consideration pays off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back