DAC upgrade from E7 for Schiit Asgard + HD650
Dec 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:
Thanks! I really appreciate it the quick answer!

I have a couple of other questions if you don't mind:
  • Does the length of the USB cable make a big difference?  I have a set up where I would like to run a cable that is about 4m in length.
  • I listen to mostly lossless CD rips.  The application I am looking for is to run from my laptop with will be on my desk over to my amplifier that sits in a cabinet a few meters away.  Am I likely to notice much of a sound quality difference between the E10 and an ODAC?
  • Are there any budget friendly (sub $200) but relatively good quality (I know - quality is very subjective) DACs that take an optical input?  Depending on the answer to question 1, if I go optical I could stream digital signal using airplay to my airport express and then go optical to a DAC then into my amp.

1. No. Only till it gets to be like.. 100 feet.
2. Yes. 
3. Not sure.. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #17 of 19
I have not used ODAC myself but from my experience investing in amp rather than a DAC is more
recommended. Audioengine D1 is a good DAC/amp with optical in you can try out but not sure if it
has a line-out or not. As far as the length of the cable is concerned it won't make much of a difference,
having said that I would also like to mention long wires may create pressure at both jack ends and may
cause a loose connection.  

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
How was the combinationof Modi + Asgard + Hd650?

Fantastic. Imo, the modi/asgard combo is at the peak of price/performance. Great value for your money. Yes you can squeeze more out of the 650s, but it will cost you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back