DAC upgrade - Audio-GD NFB2, NFB3, or Yulong D-100?
Jan 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Aegir

100+ Head-Fier
Wanting to upgrade my DAC (currently have a PICO DAC) to use with my Woo6.

I've narrowed it down to:

Audio-GD NFB2
Audio-GD NFB3
Yulong D-100 (Don't really need the solid state amp which is included, but it would be fun.)

I appreciate any input - especially from anyone using the aforementioned DACs with a Woo6 and 600 Ohm Beyers.

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 7
The WM8741 DA chips in the NFB-2/NFB-3 has a slightly warmer and smoother signature than the AD1955 in the Yulong D100, this would probably be better synergy for beyers due to them being a bit bright by nature.

NFB-3 would be a very good choice, I think.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply! 
Yes, the Beyers are still bright - not as bright as when I first got them, though.  I definitely won't be getting any silver interconnects.  Warmer is better, I think.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 7
What are the advantages of the dual Wolfson chips in the NFB2/3 vs. the single Wolfson chip in my Pico Dac? 

Is the extra $150 worth it for the NFB2?  Has anyone done a side by side comparison of both units? 

I've read the posting in the FAQ section of the Audio GD website which addresses the question of the differences between both units, however, I'm not going to pretend to understand it. 

I understand the NFB2 has a better power supply, which I'm sure will make an audible difference.  If it makes $150 audible difference is subjective, of course.

Uncle Erik?  We could use your expertise in deciphering what Audio GD means when they say:

"[size=x-small]1, [/size] [size=x-small]What's different between NFB-2 and NFB-3?[/size]
[size=large]        [/size]
[size=x-small]The NFB-3 also applies mostly high-end parts, like DALE and Vishay resistors, NOVER capacitors, etc. The main differences are as follow:
1, The NFB-3 applies 2 groups of[/size]
[size=x-small] class A parallel connection PSU supplied for analog output stage, (the analog output stage power supply is very important, so we keep the [/size] [size=x-small]2 groups of [/size] [size=x-small] class A parallel connection PSU here). Another 5 groups of linear PSU's supplied for other parts. The NFB-2 applies 6 groups class A parallel connection PSU for the whole gear, and one linear PSU for the control parts.
2, The NFB-3 applies
[/size] [size=x-small]a toroidal transformer, the NFB-2 applies an R-core transformer.
3, The NFB-3 applies mostly EVOX caps, the NFB-2 applies mostly WIMA caps. On other parts, NFB-2 are about the same with the NFB-3."
[/size]

Why does it matter if my PSU has an "EVOX" cap vs. a "WIMA" cap?  Quality and longevity?  Toroidal transformer vs. R-Core?  6 groups vs 5 groups parallel connection PSU?  Can someone please educate me so that I can make an informed decision?
beyersmile.png

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 7
I just ordered the nfb12. I'm considering changing that order to a nfb2/3 so would love to hear if anyone has answers to aegir's post.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 7
The Pico DAC, to me, sounded about as good as the Fun with the 8740 and an OPA2134 OPAMP which, IIRC, is the same as what is in the Pico DAC. Upgrading that OPAMP (in the Fun) alone made a considerable difference.  The 8740 is Wolfson's low-end DAC, where as the 8741 is (or maybe was, as I haven't checked out their lateset offerings) their top-of-the-line one.  In the Fun and Sparrow, the 8741 gives a clear, but smooth sound.

The main difference between DACs and their sound quality relates to the power supply.  The better this is, the higher the sound quality.  That's why the explanation talks about how many power circuits (groups) are inside. A DAC has an amplification circuit which takes the signal and amplifies it for output to an amplifier. The quality of this is important, as well as whether the power supply for those circuits are separate to that of the digital circuits or shared. One main benefit you'll have with the upgrade is that the DAC wont be relying on USB power alone to both do the conversion and send out the signal. 

I hope that all makes sense and helps in some way.
smile.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Looks like I'm posting in a dead thread - but I am in the same position in trying to decide between these 3 and Arcams rDAC. However, I will be using USB input 90% of the time. I'm guessing I will need the Audio GD DI to go along with the NFB -2 to get the best sound? It sounds like I will according to what I have read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back