DAC to go with Woo Audio 3 Amp + Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohms?
Oct 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bland

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on a DAC to go with my recently purchased Woo Audio 3 amplifier and Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 ohm headphones. 

1. Is it a DAC really even necessary / helpful for the cost in this setup?
2. If so, what should I get? :D

I'm looking for something mid-range, preferably not TOO expensive after already dropping $800 on headphones+amp.
This will be used in a desktop computer setup. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 5
I think price performance wise it's hard to beat Audio-gd with something like the NFB-3.1 or even the NFB-2 if you can afford to spend more for a little better sound quality.

In my experience a dac is very worthwhile but getting a proper spdif signal to it from your pc is also important. In my experience coaxial spdif is the best if provided by a low jitter source and that is generally not an integrated soundcard not to mention possible noise and or a groundloop problem. Optical spdif doesn't have those problems but it often has more jitter then coax because of the extra conversion that coax doesn't have. I think usb is more for convenience and not sound quality save for certain implementation's like asynchronous for example.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on a DAC to go with my recently purchased Woo Audio 3 amplifier and Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 ohm headphones. 

I'm looking for something mid-range, preferably not TOO expensive after already dropping $800 on headphones+amp.

I am using the HRT streamer with my bottlehead crack and DT880 600 ohm and completely happy with it.  Two weeks ago, sold my woo6 and used the hrt with that too and happy with it.  For $150.00, sometimes, $100 used, can't go wrong with it.  Hope this helps.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Hi all,

But as subsequece has suggested, I myself am curious with the audio gd NFB 3.1.  Seems like a good dac but it requires three weeks wait time, can't wait that long or maybe just happy happy with the hrt streamer that I'm figured no need to order another dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back