DAC to accompany WA3 + DT880s
Aug 24, 2010 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

perestroika

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I've made up my mind after listening to a DT880 today that it is what I want to get. I've also got it in mind to order a Woo Audio 3 - now I just need a DAC to go with it. My budget is $200 - $300, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding options in this price range that will have a similar neutral character as the Woo and the DT880.

Ideally, if money were no object, I would like to get a StageDAC (I probably will in the future), but is there something that can tide me over until then? I would prefer to avoid the uDac if possible, I've listened to it and not enjoyed the sound, and I think it's a wee bit flavour of the month-ish. Additionally, I don't have any need for USB input - my motherboard has optical out.

Thanks!

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 6
The MF VDAC is highly thought of around these parts, and it fits into your budget.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi hodgjy,

Thanks for the reply. The VDAC was on my shortlist, but I've been having trouble finding out if it can be shipped to Canada. I'm thinking of selling off a few things and just going whole-hog for a StageDAC, since most things under that price range seem to be combo units. :/

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 6
I recommend the Little Dot DAC_I. It's a pretty neutral and detailed DAC. On top of that it fits your budget ($259) .

I used to own a DAC_I (now using the StageDAC) and in terms of SQ they are close. The StageDAC's sound has more weight and slightly warmer (but still pretty neutral), a good match for the DT880/600 (my primary phone) IMO.

What separates the StageDAC from the DAC_I is the abundance of features (crossfeed, filters, preamp output etc..). If you don't need those, I suspect you would be just as happy with the DAC_I.

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi pekingduck,

Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't aware that Little Dot had such a well regarded DAC. I am also considering purchasing one of the Pico DACs up for sale in the forum, I think the fact that they can couple straight to the back of the amp might be worth it. Plus, a USB cord lets me place the DAC and amp exactly where I want it, instead of being limited by my short optical cable. But, the question is, which would have better sound quality: the Little Dot DAC via optical, or the Pico via USB? Off to do research, thank you again!

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 6
The Little Dot DAC has USB input as well.

Incidentally I also have a Pico DAC on order, but it's a month or two away from being shipped (together with the Pico Slim...spending too much already...thanks to head-fi..
very_evil_smiley.gif
). The Pico DAC has a slightly warm signature with very good bass AFAIK.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Quote:
Hi pekingduck,

Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't aware that Little Dot had such a well regarded DAC. I am also considering purchasing one of the Pico DACs up for sale in the forum, I think the fact that they can couple straight to the back of the amp might be worth it. Plus, a USB cord lets me place the DAC and amp exactly where I want it, instead of being limited by my short optical cable. But, the question is, which would have better sound quality: the Little Dot DAC via optical, or the Pico via USB? Off to do research, thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back