DAC Suggestions for Focal Clear
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Gjeven

New Head-Fier
Anyone have any recommendations for a DAC (Sub $1000 USD) for Focal Clear headphones with a Jotunheim 2 amp.

I've been looking at the typical Bifrost 2 and the Ares II. But there are so many good brands that I'm not familiar with, looking for some ideas for equipment to research.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 17
Clear don't really need much power but the quality of DAC will improve it greatly
I'm using Fiio K9 pro and think it's great with Focal Stuff

Apr 28, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 17
I have a Schiit Modi 3+, Modius, Modi multibit, and Modi 3E. I've used all of them with my Asgard 3 amp powering my Focal Clear Pro's. The Modi multibit has been my long time favorite but now I'm leaning towards the 3E. Really a performer for $129.

Apr 28, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 17
RME ADI-2 DAC FS is the best thousand bucks anybody will ever spend on audio. You can use your amp for something else :wink:

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 17
I thought about the RME as just a DAC, didnt think of using it as a standalone.
I have never heard a pair of Focals, but from the specsheet the RME amp is plenty enough.

May 2, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 17
I love the Chord Hugo2Go with the Clears - the Chord specialty is the extremely accurate timing, notes seem to start and decay more precisely, but at the same time remaining smooth and clean, free from digital harshness. This plays to the strengths of the Clears IMO - except if you find them leaning too much to the detailed side of things and want to soften or warm up the sound. Soundstage layering and depth is another strength, imaging is excellent with the Clears using Dekoni Stellia pads, and even the soundstage size is decent. Not expansive but it feels very accurate.
I'll be getting the Mojo 2 this week - this should be quite close to the Hugo 2 and very good value. Let me know if you are interested, then I can share impressions after receiving it.

May 2, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 17
I'd like to try the Chord stuff, probably will try the Chord Qutest eventually. They're a little more pricey than I want to spend right now, though. The Mojo2 looks affordable, just the form factor wont work out on my side desk setup.

May 3, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 17
How can the Mojo form factor be a problem? It's the size of a deck of playing cards :wink:

May 7, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 17
I thought about the RME as just a DAC, didnt think of using it as a standalone.
I have focal clear and RME DAC, they pair well. The RME DAC gives you the best ever user manual which is super useful to me. The DSP function is high quality and I start to believe some sort of EQ, which I have never touched for many years, is actually acceptable and fun. EQ in old days was terrible as it used to kill sound quality, but not anymore.

I also have Mojo2 to pair with Focal clear, and I think it sounds better than RME out of box without touching any DSP. RME sounds punchier and more transparent to me, while Mojo2 has more emphasize on vocal and sounds milder. They both have very capable DSP functions.

Btw, I am listening exclusively on balanced through a very flat amp. Focal clear just sounds great!

May 7, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 17
• To @Gjeven: if sound quality is paramount, the Focal Clears are best served (in my experience) by a R2R DAC or a ‘multibit’ DAC. The Ares II and the Bifrost 2 are examples of each.
• The Clear is dynamic enough, fast enough that its sound may take on a metallic ‘sheen’ when fed a signal from a ‘sigma-delta chip’ DAC (ESS, for example). With a R2R / multibit DAC in the signal path, that tendency is mitigated.
• Ask yourself: do you want ‘natural’ sound or ‘vivid’ sound (to use TV image terms)? ‘R2R / multibit’ for the first, ‘sigma-delta’ for the second.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 17
Anyone have any recommendations for a DAC (Sub $1000 USD) for Focal Clear headphones with a Jotunheim 2 amp.

I've been looking at the typical Bifrost 2 and the Ares II. But there are so many good brands that I'm not familiar with, looking for some ideas for equipment to research.
SFD-1 mk2 or better if you are very lucky. Good hunting. Once you have more money get a good CD transport or streamer (mid 4 figures tends to get into the good stuff).

You may also find Ayre codex and original QB-9 for less than $1k. You can then upgrade QB-9 to Twenty for less than $2k and get essentially top notch playback performance. When you have a bit more money, upgrade to Aurender streamer for best performance

Avoid entry level/mid-fi dac trap and buy something that you can upgrade later or buy SOTA from 90s and 2000s.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 17
Maybe an audio-gd R1 or Denafrips ares ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back