DAC - Streamer USB incompatibilities
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shooter41

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone else had an issue with a streamer not being able to send audio to your DAC via USB?

I have a Schiit Yggdrasil "Less-Is-More", which I love but I'm definitely getting frustrated with it's incompatibility issues. I have now tried 2 different streamers, a Bricasti M5 and an ifi X-stream, so very different ends of the market, and they both had roughly the same behavior. Through SPDIF/BNC/AES they can send audio and sample rate data just fine, but through USB the Bricasti could send the correct sample rate data but no audio, the ifi also could not send audio but also sent incorrect sample rate data. Of course, the problem with this is that Schiit's proprietary Unison USB input is almost universally regarded as it's best-sounding input. Is the price of that quality lack of compatibility? I will say that sending the signal directly from my M1 Mac Mini to the DAC via USB (and using Roon) does sound superb. I was just curious if a dedicated streamer could sound even better.
I've sent Schiit a message about the issue and asking if they're working on a FW update or something to rectify it. The reply was pretty dismissive, basically saying we never said it was compatible with everything but if we ever issue a FW update we'll let ya know! My point is that it seems unlikely that I've managed to try the only two streamers that have a problem with their DAC and that it appears to be pretty widespread. Compatibility with source components is kind of an important part of a DAC's design.
A quick google of the issue doesn't turn up much. I did see one other instance and turns out a FW update did fix it. I don't remember what brand his DAC was but it wasn't Schiit. So, anyone here have any experience with this?

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 8
My Unison USB in Yggy A2 worked with everything I tried yet (MacMini, iPhone, Raspberry Pi, ProJect StreamBox). Sometimes the procedure is important. The DAC usually needs to be on and set to USB input first, before you connect the streamer. I'd be surprised iFi new product is not compatible, as it is based on same linux components as RaspberryPi systems.

Edit: And check if your streamer is not oversampling higher than Yggy accepts, ie. max. 32/192 PCM, and no DSD.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 8
My Unison USB in Yggy A2 worked with everything I tried yet (MacMini, iPhone, Raspberry Pi, ProJect StreamBox). Sometimes the procedure is important. The DAC usually needs to be on and set to USB input first, before you connect the streamer. I'd be surprised iFi new product is not compatible, as it is based on same linux components as RaspberryPi systems.

Edit: And check if your streamer is not oversampling higher than Yggy accepts, ie. max. 32/192 PCM, and no DSD.
I've had the DAC for a while so my system (and specifically Roon) is already set up to send only what the DAC can handle. DAC stays on 24/7 and was only ever on USB input before this. This is definitely not a procedural thing. As I said, my Mac Mini sends audio to the DAC via USB just fine.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Has anyone else had an issue with a streamer not being able to send audio to your DAC via USB?

I have a Schiit Yggdrasil "Less-Is-More", which I love but I'm definitely getting frustrated with it's incompatibility issues. I have now tried 2 different streamers, a Bricasti M5 and an ifi X-stream, so very different ends of the market, and they both had roughly the same behavior. Through SPDIF/BNC/AES they can send audio and sample rate data just fine, but through USB the Bricasti could send the correct sample rate data but no audio, the ifi also could not send audio but also sent incorrect sample rate data. Of course, the problem with this is that Schiit's proprietary Unison USB input is almost universally regarded as it's best-sounding input. Is the price of that quality lack of compatibility? I will say that sending the signal directly from my M1 Mac Mini to the DAC via USB (and using Roon) does sound superb. I was just curious if a dedicated streamer could sound even better.
I've sent Schiit a message about the issue and asking if they're working on a FW update or something to rectify it. The reply was pretty dismissive, basically saying we never said it was compatible with everything but if we ever issue a FW update we'll let ya know! My point is that it seems unlikely that I've managed to try the only two streamers that have a problem with their DAC and that it appears to be pretty widespread. Compatibility with source components is kind of an important part of a DAC's design.
A quick google of the issue doesn't turn up much. I did see one other instance and turns out a FW update did fix it. I don't remember what brand his DAC was but it wasn't Schiit. So, anyone here have any experience with this?
If you have quality streamer then use the AES input. I would rate AES above UNISON USB but if you still want to use Unison USB then don't worry a lot about the streamer as I guess Unison has galvanic isolation and then the clock of DAC will be used unlike SPDIF where source clock is used.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 8
antipodes audio, you can put that s*&t on anything

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 8
If you have quality streamer then use the AES input. I would rate AES above UNISON USB but if you still want to use Unison USB then don't worry a lot about the streamer as I guess Unison has galvanic isolation and then the clock of DAC will be used unlike SPDIF where source clock is used.
The Bricasti had AES, ifi did not. I don't own an AES cable though and didn't want to buy one as I definitely wanted to use USB. I have a Curious Evolved USB cable that I paid good money for. This is really all beside the point, though. The point is Schiit's USB incompatibility issue.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 8
The Bricasti had AES, ifi did not. I don't own an AES cable though and didn't want to buy one as I definitely wanted to use USB. I have a Curious Evolved USB cable that I paid good money for. This is really all beside the point, though. The point is Schiit's USB incompatibility issue.
Hmmm...I have used unison with MACOS and ios without any issue and with pi4 as well. So use directly with laptop or if you want streamer then best is pi4 with 5v LPS. Pi4 has very clean USB out and LPS makes it even better.
Now that I recall Unison has some power requiremnt for initial handshake. My be the streamer is not providing enough for initial handshake. Need to check with schiit

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 8
Hmmm...I have used unison with MACOS and ios without any issue and with pi4 as well. So use directly with laptop or if you want streamer then best is pi4 with 5v LPS. Pi4 has very clean USB out and LPS makes it even better.
I don't have a laptop, I have a Mac Mini, I know that works. My question going into this was if a good streamer might sound better. Definitely not interested in in using anything Pi4-based. I'm interested only in fully-realized streamer products.

But once again, I'm not looking for alternatives or work-arounds, I'm simply wanting to know if others have experienced Schiit USB compatibility issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back