DAC/Soundcard Question
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Loko-Pillo

Head-Fier
This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. 
rolleyes.gif

My question is, if I have an external DAC ... does the computer sound card not matter AT ALL?

I can just buy the cheapest, worst, card?...or does it have SOME effect?

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. 
rolleyes.gif

My question is, if I have an external DAC ... does the computer sound card not matter AT ALL?

I can just buy the cheapest, worst, card?...or does it have SOME effect?

If the external DAC connects with USB, then you will bypass the sound card and motherboard's built in audio.
If the external DAC connects with S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), then you will keep the sound card's audio features if the S/PDIF DAC is connected to the sound card.
If the S/PDIF DAC is connected to the motherboard's optical or coaxial output, then you can still use the audio features that are built into the motherboard (built in audio).

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for that fast and helpful reply, PurpleAngel!

I am connected through USB, but it's to an S/PDIF converter (Audiophilleo2) ... that should bypasses the Sound card also, right?

As long as the connect to the computer is USB, I'm fairly sure you will bypass.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 17
As PurpleAngel stated:
If the external DAC connects with USB, then you will bypass the sound card and motherboard's built in audio.

Your USB printer doesn't use your sound card either. Same thing. 
smile.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 17
I think the question has been answered well, but it probably depends on the OS execution as well. When I use my DAC, the audio gets bypassed to the DAC, but only from the music player that I play the music in. Other stuff, for example flash videos, still go through the onboard sound.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 17
That's actually more ideal. You don't want sudden beeps and whatnot while you're listening.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
As PurpleAngel stated:

Your USB printer doesn't use your sound card either. Same thing. 
smile.gif

Aha ... yeah, that's true! You'd think that would be obvious, not to me! lol

I think the question has been answered well, but it probably depends on the OS execution as well. When I use my DAC, the audio gets bypassed to the DAC, but only from the music player that I play the music in. Other stuff, for example flash videos, still go through the onboard sound.

I actually was asking this question because I had a problem with my new computer:

I always used a MacBook Pro, and the music was working fine with it, a bit thin for my taste, but that is the Mac's sound signature I think.

Then, yesterday, I got a new PC (windows) and it all works fine still. Except when I play 24/192 files then the sound starts crackling and whatnot.

So I though it can't be my rig, since it was all working fine, on the Mac.

But then again, it isn't the new computer (motherboard) because (according to this thread) it gets bypassed anyway.

What could it be!? 

The USB or something?

And the quest for the Truth continues...

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
I always used a MacBook Pro, and the music was working fine with it, a bit thin for my taste, but that is the Mac's sound signature I think.
Then, yesterday, I got a new PC (windows) and it all works fine still. Except when I play 24/192 files then the sound starts crackling and whatnot.

I only know about 24-bit/192Khz sample rate.

I've never heard of a 24-bit/192Khz file?
What is that?

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

IfI had to guess, I would say, your player is set to use your DAC, in the output plugin.  Your system is set to use the onboardusing themain control panels.  Thats why the music goes to the DAC and the system sounds and other sounds will go to the onboard.
If you want ALL sound to go to the DAC, set your main audio control panel to use your DAC for default.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 17
I'm kind of a noob and have a question about this as well.  I don't have a dedicated sound card on my PC, but I will be purchasing the Schiit Bifrost DAC and the Schiit Lyr amp soon.  Will I need a sound card at all?  Also, is connecting by usb the best option when it comes to connecting to a PC? or does it degrade sound quality?

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Your DAC will be your soucre.

Generally, soundcards combine DAC and amp,
Here you choose to have a separate DAC and amp.
As it's replacing the soundcard functions, you will not need one.

All ways to connect your pc to your DAC should be the same, the difference comes to the chip used for each connection on the DAC, but you will not notice the difference as any decent DAC chip does the same job as an expensive one.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
I only know about 24-bit/192Khz sample rate.

I've never heard of a 24-bit/192Khz file?
What is that?

Lol, well yeah, I mean a music files (FLAC, usually) with 24/192 sample rate.

It's actually solved now, I think it was something to do with Foobar2000 player. I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it ... and now all the music is working fine. Thanks!

On a separate note, I am noticing such a huge difference between both computers (PC, MAC) sound-wise. The PC's sound is much bigger, fuller and deeper. Yet the Mac is more analytical and detailed, and precise kinda. With all the other equipment the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back