DAC Showdown: AQVOX USB 2 D/A vs. Benchmark DAC1 vs. Lavry Black DA10
Oct 14, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #121 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
The volume on the Lavry is controlled by a toggle switch, and there is no remote. The toggle makes a purely mechanical clicking noise when used.

In other words, I could use this unit and it's volume control as a digital line stage for driving a 2ch amp? Thanks.

Oct 14, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #123 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Yup, that's what I'm doing right now with my Aleph 3

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #124 of 133
I borrowed the Black. Tested it quickly on the Amadeus movie from my quite old Panasonic RA82 dvdp.

best stereo sound I ever heard with my films, connecting with cheap coax to DAC then to power amp and stereo speakers.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #125 of 133
As of late, has anyone compared a modded DAC1 to some of its peers (Grace m902, Lavry Black DA10, Aqvox, etc.)? Right now there are a few companies modding the DAC1's, does this modding address the "defiencies" noted in ID's comparison? In my opinion, based on reviews of reviews, DA10 appears to be the desirable favorite. Does this still ring true considering DAC1 mod's?

Any and all input would be appreciated, TIA.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #127 of 133
I wouldn't say that. There is no one DAC that is the ultimate end all, be all. Some of it has to do with your system, and what headphones you'll be using. Many audio professionals like the DAC1 for its accuracy. IMO, it has really great synergy with the HD650. I find I like a DAC that is more cold yet accurate: I can induce musicality with the headphone amp.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #128 of 133
All I can say is, the more I listen to the DAC1 the more it impresses me..If the Darvy Black is as good as ID ssays it is, I'm in trouble..
rolleyes.gif
nother upgrade

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #129 of 133
My thoughts on DAC1 vs DA10, both in my system at the same time:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...0&postcount=23

I'm still very pleased with the DA10's performance after owning it for so long, but I can see myself upgrading to a DAC that is reported to have even more dynamics but costs 3 times more
redface.gif
. If I can find a good deal on it I'm not hesitating.

May 5, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #130 of 133
I am confused about the "balanced XLO" outputs to RCA. Do you need to use a re-cabled balanced headphone for these DACs? Also, if one wanted to use a seperate headphone tube amp and the DAC as just a DAC for output from a computer, is this possible and will it sound as good?

May 6, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #131 of 133
The DAC 1 now has a USB version for computer interface. Can the Lavry be used with the Toslink output from a Mac computer and what about balanced output for re-cabled headphones..is this possible?

May 6, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #132 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thoughts on DAC1 vs DA10, both in my system at the same time:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...0&postcount=23

I'm still very pleased with the DA10's performance after owning it for so long, but I can see myself upgrading to a DAC that is reported to have even more dynamics but costs 3 times more
redface.gif
. If I can find a good deal on it I'm not hesitating.

Sounds like a Chord DAC is in your future. That is the one your description sounds like to me.

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #133 of 133
Of the three reviewed DACs it seems that there is a jitter issue with the USB output of a computer hard drive. If I wanted a DAC for both the USB out of my computer as well as to upgrade an inxepensive CDP like an Oppo, would I be better off paying more for the new DAC1/USB which is designed to be used with a computer interface?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back