DAC Showdown: AQVOX USB 2 D/A vs. Benchmark DAC1 vs. Lavry Black DA10
Mar 1, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #106 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I don't understand how a player like G08 is unable to output bit-perfect digital stream (44.1kHz).

So it can screw up external DACs when being A/B compared...just kidding...
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #108 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
So it can screw up external DACs when being A/B compared...just kidding...
tongue.gif

Hah!! I'm more of a cynic than you are; that just might not be a joke!

Seriously folks... doesn't the Meridian offer 44.1 output at all? Seems like they'd want to maintain maximum flexibility with available DACs, receivers, etc.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #109 of 133
I was listening to a Chesky DVD via my DAC1 last night and found myself wondering if anyone has done any comparisons using 24-bit/high sample rate source material.

It would be interesting to see if the differences among units, especially in the treble, would be greater or less with hi-res input.

Thanks,
Beau

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #110 of 133
I have listened to a range of 24/96 material on my Lavry and my Bryston SP1.7. The impression remains the same with hires material.

The Lavry is smoother and more refined.

Cheers

Thomas

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #111 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
I have listened to a range of 24/96 material on my Lavry and my Bryston SP1.7. The impression remains the same with hires material. ...

Thanks. Anyone have a comparison with the DAC1?

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #112 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I am impressed with the quality of sound that is coming out of the Lavry.
The combination of transparency, soundstage, and dynamics draws me into the music and doesn't let go until the CD is over. It has an elusive combination of smoothness and PRaT, which makes it a sweet source for my K1000 and HE60. I am looking forward to reading more opinions when the second build is complete.

I just received my second build unit. I agree.. the sound is incredibly smooth, yet far more detailed than anything else I've used (including my AVR75). It's a strange combination I didn't think possible. How could such sharp detail be relaxing to listen to?

Do you have any questions specific to the 2nd build?

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #114 of 133
Lavry finally responded on his own forum about the remote.

you can read it here:

http://www.lavryengineering.com/lavr...?t=49&start=15

he basically says that it's a great idea that he'll implement in future products... but not in the DA10.
It's a bummer... but I kinda understand that making a change / addition like that would be pretty tough – and tough for the existing DA10 owners too. That said... I don't think I'll be buying one now.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #117 of 133
Nice review, thanks for all the info. I decided to bite the bullet and order the Lavry! It should arrive later this week; I'll post my impressions and compare vs my current rig (CI VDA1/VAC1 -> Corda Aria) after I've had a few days to listen.

I plan to use the integrated amp on the DA10 w/ my HD650's, so I'm hoping it stacks up fairly well against the Aria. I really like the Aria, so my hopes are high.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #118 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
I plan to use the integrated amp on the DA10 w/ my HD650's, so I'm hoping it stacks up fairly well against the Aria. I really like the Aria, so my hopes are high.

Hi

so how does it sound in comparison to Aria ?
Can you shortly describe differencies of DA10 vs your old combo ?

thx

--G

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #119 of 133
...this may already have been covered, and if so, sorry for the question...

How do you control the volume on the Lavry? Can it be done by remote control?

I am looking for a DAC to be used in combination with a DVD unit for home theater (stereo + sub woofer). And would like to take advantage of my existing balanced amp / xover / sub, etc. Any comments on the Lavry being used in combination with a DVD player for movies?

Thanks for any input you all might have on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back