DAC Shopping, help!
Jan 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a nice DAC.

That said, there are LOTS of nice DAC's out there that we don't discuss a lot here. For example, the MSB line.

I think we too often get bound up in whether it's specifically for computer audio (i.e. has a USB port) around here.

I have to agree that most people are hung up on having a USB port and with all the optical outs on computers nowadays its like t*ts on a male hog. BTW, on the Stello, the Optical does sound better than the usb, maybe 20 percent.

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree that most people are hung up on having a USB port and with all the optical outs on computers nowadays its like t*ts on a male hog. BTW, on the Stello, the Optical does sound better than the usb, maybe 20 percent.

That's interesting. I'm doing a little DAC testing right now. I'm listening to:

Great March II
Lavry DA10
Sello DA220MkII
Bel Canto DAC3

On the DA220, I couldn't hear a difference between the USB input and coax. How did you do your listening test that revealed the difference in the USB input on the DA100? Maybe I missed it on the DA220?

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

maybe because we use laptops? and by laptops, i don't mean macbooks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great March II
Lavry DA10
Sello DA220MkII
Bel Canto DAC3

On the DA220, I couldn't hear a difference between the USB input and coax. How did you do your listening test that revealed the difference in the USB input on the DA100? Maybe I missed it on the DA220?

how did you like the da220 vs the dac3?

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

What am I missing? A lot of laptops have optical out using the headphone jack.

sure, some do but most don't.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great March II
Lavry DA10
Sello DA220MkII
Bel Canto DAC3

I was not able to tell the difference either when I got this unit and threw the optical cable in the drawer. I re-installed the optical cable about a month later and noticed it right away. Its much less closed in and because of this its also smoother in the highs. If the unit is new to you then flipping the switch between the two inputs might not reveal much, that was the case for me anyway.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how did you like the da220 vs the dac3?

Too soon to tell. I'm taking notes and I'll post a full review in a few weeks. Wish I had a DA100 to the mix.

Quote:

I was not able to tell the difference either when I got this unit and threw the optical cable in the drawer. I re-installed the optical cable about a month later and noticed it right away. Its much less closed in and because of this its also smoother in the highs. If the unit is new to you then flipping the switch between the two inputs might not reveal much, that was the case for me anyway.

OK, wider soundstage and smoother highs. I do agree with you about just flipping back and forth. That doesn't work for me either. I've found that I need to listen to one unit for a long time in a very relaxed setting and then listen to the same material with the other unit for a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back