DAC Shopping, help!
Jul 12, 2008 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I just sold off all my old stuff and I am without a system and have a handful of cash. My budget is $1000 max. I am considering these:

1. a new Lavry DA10 - $975

2. a used, modded Benchmark DAC1 - $825
AudiogoN ForSale: Benchmark DAC1 silver

3. A modded bel canto DAC2+ - $750
on head-fi here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...ed-mod-342777/

4. A used, unmodded Benchmark DAC1 - $760
AudiogoN ForSale: Benchmark dac1 blk non-usb

5. Other suggestions?

thank you! I was really leaning to the Lavry for a while but now I am not quite sure. Tell me what you think.

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 22
What's the source? A computer? My initial reaction is the Lavry or that modded Benchmark. I'm a huge Bel Canto fan, but I think the DAC1 would be behind each of the others on your list.

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 22
I'd suggest checking out a Channel Islands Audio VDA-2. It's $599 and ready to go out of the box. You can get an upgraded power supply an additional $179 (I'd recommend it highly!!). For another $149, you can get their special RCA-to-XLR balanced cables and run it with true balanced output.

Due to the kindness of another Head-Fi'er, I've had the opportunity to evaluate this DAC, and I just love it!! Punchy, tons of air, sparkling highs, and they just nailed the midrange. I'll be posting a review sometime in the next week or so, if that helps.

Oh, one thing: no USB in. I'd get a Trends U-10 for $100 and call it good.

Seriously...check it out. I'm going to have to find a way to get one of these for my very own. I like it THAT much!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the source? A computer? My initial reaction is the Lavry or that modded Benchmark. I'm a huge Bel Canto fan, but I think the DAC1 would be behind each of the others on your list.

my source is a computer, using digital coax output from a Creative Audigy 2ZS.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 22
For your price point, aside from the suggestions above, I think the Headroom Micro Ultra DAC is great value. That especially true with a computer as the source. High resolution, works nicely with a laptop in terms of space.

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 22
It's a nice DAC.

That said, there are LOTS of nice DAC's out there that we don't discuss a lot here. For example, the MSB line.

I think we too often get bound up in whether it's specifically for computer audio (i.e. has a USB port) around here.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 22
One thing I've learned about hifi audio is that its always best to spend a little more than you planned on.

I think I might be able to afford the Cambridge Audio 840c. I've read a lot and many many people find it superior to the Benchmark, the Lavry, and even the Stello DA220. And it comes with a CD player (yay).

Jul 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I might be able to afford the Cambridge Audio 840c. I've read a lot and many many people find it superior to the Benchmark, the Lavry, and even the Stello DA220. And it comes with a CD player (yay).

Seems to me that as soon as you start looking in the >$1000 price range for a DAC Cambridge CD players become serious contenders. Unless you're like me - I prefer a minimalist system with a music server and a DAC that I can easily keep out of site.
The 740C
Quote:

Two high quality Wolfson WM8740 24-bit DACs (Digital to Analogue Converters) are used in dual differential mode. As each channel has its own DAC to process information, completely separate and symmetrical analog filter circuitry can be implemented. These allow both left and right channel circuitry to operate identically, ensuring the 740C delivers fantastic sound-staging and stereo imaging properties.

The 840C
Quote:

The 840C embraces a raft of proprietary technologies including ATF™ (Adaptive Time Filtering) asynchronous up-sampling technology which has been developed in conjunction with Anagram Technologies of Switzerland. This system intelligently interpolates 16-bit/44.1kHz CD data to 24-bit/384kHz data, through the use of a 32-bit Analog Devices Black Fin DSP (digital signal processor). This in turn feeds two 24-bit/384kHz DACs from the same company in dual differential formation.
Each DAC handles just one channel for excellent stereo imaging, operating fully in differential mode for exceptionally low distortion and noise.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my source is a computer, using digital coax output from a Creative Audigy 2ZS.

i would look for a dac that has two pairs of analog outputs so you can connect to two different amps(one tube and one ss).

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gotta second elrod-tom's suggestion of the CIA VDA2, a great DAC when used with VAC1 PSU; an additional tweak is the RAL umbilical between them...

I ended up buying a modded Benchmark DAC1 quite while ago. Not sure why you pulled this thread out of the grave, eh?

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 22
AudiogoN ForSale: Stello DA 100 Signature

Shipped for the non shipped price Stello charges and all from an authorized Stello dealer. This dac is very smooth and punchy and very transparent, doesnt really add alot to the music accept for maybe being ever so slightly forward. Balanced outs are nice if you can use them too. One thing people dont speak of is the 3 way upsampling. Non-24/96-24/192, this makes it very easy to choose the proper amount of upsampling given the recording quality and synergy with your system. I use all three settings. Non for well recorded stuff, 96 for mid grade recordings (I use this one a lot), and 192 for poorly recorded stuff. I do not have experience with the others and my only gripe with the stello is the output is a little high but I absolutely love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back