DAC required for stereo setup for Home
Jun 28, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #17 of 33
if you plan on hooking up anything else besides you're computer cross out the Pico (though that's the one I ended up going with out of the ones listed).

DacMagic and Little Dot are more flexible in their input AND output options. From what I remember the DacMagic sounds horrible through USB (reviewers words not mine), so it might not be for you if your primary use is your computer. The little dot is too new and until like 5 or so guys buy it and make threads sucking each off, we won't know how good it is. BTW, although the DacMagic, Pico, and Little Dot use the WM8740, (DacMagic uses the chip for each channel), it's how the chip is implemented rather than the use of the chip itself which can impact the overall sound.

V-Dac has a good following and I almost bought it. I wish I could've listened to it, but I suppose that's part of the whole buying and selling game here on head-fi. Honestly, my advice would be to start simple with a cheap DAC, then upgrade slowly. You might not be able to appreciate what makes each DAC special.

Personally I think you can't really go wrong with any of those (unless that Pico limits your options) DACs listed. Flip a coin if you have to.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #18 of 33
lol DAcMagic doesn't sound horribly through USB at all
biggrin.gif

What review was that?

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #20 of 33
yep the pico sounds good , i think if i really want it ill have to make do with the fact that it has no optical or coax

so where does that leave me now?
umm
i think only a Vdac and a pico?

would any pico user care to give me a jist of its sound/flavour ?
or maybe someone can actaully point me to a review by a fellow user.

i have another dumb question
i dont know whether there is such a devic or not but havent any manufactureres considered making a portableplayer that can play flac and has digital and analogue/headphone inputs too?

i personally would think there would be a market for such a player.

someonealso asked me to consider an Ibasso but being a noob i think its the first time ive heard about it

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #21 of 33
There used to be an iRiver model that had optical digital output. The only player I know of which can act as a DAC as well is the new Hifiman.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by magma79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep the pico sounds good , i think if i really want it ill have to make do with the fact that it has no optical or coax

so where does that leave me now?
umm
i think only a Vdac and a pico?

someonealso asked me to consider an Ibasso but being a noob i think its the first time ive heard about it

Are you for real? How does that rule out the Little Dot or Dacmagic??

You surely know how to search "pico" in a search box? Same for ibasso. Come on. Do some of your own work, jeez.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #23 of 33
little dot i ruled out only because i cant find any reviews on it that speak about the sound

i havent ruled out the CA magic sir
its only that i ha this as a last option becuase i think it stretches my budget a bit

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 33
There is no need to remove the TC7520 from your list. 1UP is militantly anti-Beresford and told you to remove it only because of personal dislike for the product. It actually fits all of your requirements quite nicely, and sounds very good.

EDIT: It has two coax, one optical, and one USB input.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #26 of 33
The Dacmagic and Vdac are different flavours. When I did an A-B comparison, I wasn't able to tell if one was clearly better than the other. If I had to fall off the fence, I'd say I prefer the Vdac (which was using a CA 840 as transport).

I compared the Beresford 7520 with the CIA VDA-2/VPA-1 in an A-B comparison. The CIA was clearly better than the Beresford but also 5x more expensive. I can't say if it is 5x better though.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeolian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dacmagic and Vdac are different flavours. When I did an A-B comparison, I wasn't able to tell if one was clearly better than the other. If I had to fall off the fence, I'd say I prefer the Vdac (which was using a CA 840 as transport).

I compared the Beresford 7520 with the CIA VDA-2/VPA-1 in an A-B comparison. The CIA was clearly better than the Beresford but also 5x more expensive. I can't say if it is 5x better though.

840 as a transport? bad idea as the 840 beats all the sources you have listed

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #28 of 33
Ahahaha, good spot, .Sup!
biggrin.gif

You unlock this door with the key of being an innocent noob. Beyond it is another dimension. A dimension of split personalities and incoherent sentence construction. A dimension of paradox and absurdist anecdotes. A dimension of shilling. A dimension of multiple accounts but a single IP address. You're moving into a land of both desperate misdirection and manipulative suggestion. You've just crossed over...into the Beresford Zone.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeolian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dacmagic and Vdac are different flavours. When I did an A-B comparison, I wasn't able to tell if one was clearly better .

exactly
each dac,actually almost all equipment generally does have its on flavour

while reading up i did notice that many refer to the PICO as a really good usb dac while the KECES is refereed as a good dac for optical and digital.
(there may be many others that are better but im talking about the under 275-300$ range)
Also there a is a large V dac follwing here ( which actually none of the abov posters have adviced though)

i would really love the pico but unfortuantely it has no digital
(i wonder why justin feels he shoud not add a digital input)

i can make do with a dac that has no usb but i def need a digital since my dac is to be NON portable and for my living room rig.

Now as i said about flavours ,only people who have heard a couple DAC's can actually help me here
i need a DAC with a lively flavour - Detailed and Bright if you will so as to complement the rest of my setup which is pretty laid back

i dont know whether the Vdac fits this bill nor do i know if the Keces or ibasso D10 do
each have a fan following but i can hardly find a post wherein a member who has owned at least two of listed dacs speaks about the difference in the flavour of the DAcs

hence its a bit difficult for me to select one.
damn how come no one here convinced justin to add a digital Input

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no need to remove the TC7520 from your list. 1UP is militantly anti-Beresford and told you to remove it only because of personal dislike for the product. It actually fits all of your requirements quite nicely, and sounds very good.

for each B post, a few of us will speak up againt this bad company (and lame product, highly overpriced for what is inside it).

beresford HAS BEEN BANNED here. and other sites that don't want to put up with him acting like a bazillion people have banned him, too.

you think there MAY be a reason for this? maybe?

yes.

yes there is.

for every shill, a few of us will anti-shill. it kills things (hopefully) a bit more balanced around here.

if you need the B dac, get the $105 version and don't spend a penny on that ripoff artist and spammer. mr B.

so many other capable dacs out there. so many. his is not even his, its made by TEC in china and he ONLY adds labelling to the panel and doubles the price.

sound good to you?

no?

good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back