DAC required for stereo setup for Home
Jun 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

magma79

New Head-Fier
hello all

im new to this forum
however ive been reading up so i dont ask questions that are already answered

Though i do subscribe to the idea that a good CDP may sound better than a low/mid riced DAC+seperate cheap transport (both options worth the same total budget)
i have a peculiar problem
i have many original cds and many songs in flac too
now if a buy a CDP i lose out on hearing my flacs
hence i am looking to a DAC route which has usb so i can connect to a lappie plus a can play cds through an other cd cheap sony transport

hence im thinking of the DAC route to keep things flexible
(i dont have a budget to buy the CA 640 or 840 series CDP which can act as a seperate dac too)

for transport for my redbook cds i plan to use an old sony DVDP NS530- (please dont scoff at me. im a humble guy with ahrdly any budget right now)

anyway
my setup consists of the following
PSB image B15 bookshelves
NAD 325 BEE

now i find the setup decent for its bass and vocals
the PSB are laid back speakers
i picked the NAD over a marantz amp since i liked the flavour of the NAD mids however i do concede that the NAD is a bit cloudy and the marantz is cleaner and more detailed
(P.S i live in India and do not have access to the wide variety of speaker and amp choices you have there in the US or in Europe hence please dont judge my amp speaker choices)

I would like this quality of the marantz amp ( cleaner and more detailed - maybe a more lively sound if you will) to be there in my DAC/source so as to complemet the laid back NAD PSB combo

Please do advice me a DAC for my requiremnt
Budget not to exceed 250-300$
(DAC may be purchased in the US or UK)

looking forward to your help
magma

P.S i am unable to audition any equip here in india hence i am not familiar with the qualities or flavoursof these DAcs
i have to trust you all
i have been looking at the following DACS (though im open to all suggestions)

V DAC
Dot DAC_1,-
PICO DAC
used CA DAC MAgic
KECES DA-131
Zero DAC
beresford 7520

Also if you can help me weed out some choices or shorlist i would be very grateful

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 33
Here we go again - trim the last one off your shortlist.
L3000.gif

Whereabouts in India are you?
icon10.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 33
i only tried those in my sig. DacMagic is the best and has balanced outs if you need them but if you're on a tight budget then 7520 is a good choice.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 33
You're never going to find someone who's tried all of those and even if you did the opinion would be based on his/her listening prefs rather than you're own. Read some reviews, look at your budget, and perhaps buy one that has a return policy or better yet, one that will retain it's value so you can sell it and lose little.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello, I need a dac. I can see LOTS of existing posts on this subject, but I thought I'd ask again.

here is a list. please chatter about the ones on this list. talk is good.

oops. said too much.

wow.. I didn't realize I was so tired.. My sarcasm detector didn't even catch that..
wink.gif
I guess the Rum and Cokes arent helping either..
beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 33
Some thoughts:

Avoid the Zero. It has a reputation for failure. I regret not having heard the Pico DAC, however, being so small, there is the advantage that if you ever had to return it or have it repaired, it's small.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 33
live in Bombay( Mumbai)
beresford zero trimmed

as i said i have read the reviewshowever im specifically looking for a DAC whcih compliments the setup as ive posted earlier.
need the DAC to be on the livelier/brighter side and ofcourse detailed ( kind of like a marantz CDP)

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 33
OK, well the Keces has no USB input, so you're down to the first four.

The PICO is well-regarded (do a search) but kind of above your budget; I didn't like it so much as a headphone amp; its strongest case is as a DAC; it comes in such a version.

The Little Dot is relatively new so reports are scarce but the design looks pretty solid; also giving balanced outputs like the DacMagic, but a more serious power supply section than the V-Dac; this is always important for DACs.

Any of the PICO, Little Dot and DacMagic would be safe choices. Otherwise, what Roker said.

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 33
unfortunately my headphone out doesnt double up as an optical jack as found in some lappies.

so that leaves me with the
little Dot
DAC magic
PICO and the
V dac

now which of these would meet my requiremnts as stated in the first post( ie complement my laid back setup)
thaks you all for helping me out
P>S i know there have been so many i need a DAC threads you guys must be sick of new OP's!

bt i needed one to complemnet my sys for which i gave the requiements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back