DAC recommendation for use with Woo WA2
Apr 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PanamaRed

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there all,

I've been lurking on this site for a month or so just trying to become better acquainted with high quality headphone audio.

I will be ordering a Woo Audio WA2 and would like to match it with a DAC that is reasonably priced (< $1000).

I've read that a tube dac might be a better choice but would like your input (Also perhaps recommendations on interconnects would be great)

My headphones are: Grado RS-1, 325is and Sennheiser HD650

My current digital output is a ASUS Xonar Essence STX (but my computer also has a toslink out built onto the motherboard), I'm planning on eventually getting a higher end CD player down the road.

Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 5
There is no "better choice", it's ultimately a preference thing between tube DACs and the others.  Take a look at MDHT Labs for tube-based DACs.  Audio-GD DAC gear (non-tube) is popular.  Woo might have a DAC too very soon.  
wink.gif

It doesn't seem like you will need a balanced DAC so you may want to keep that in mind, unless you plan to move to balanced in the future.

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 5
I am really liking my PS audio with my 325is.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm using a Pro-Ject DAC Box FL with my tube here.
It's a solid state DAC but it's nicely built and shows it's colours well even though I'm only using Grado SR80i's at the moment =D 

I got it at $99 on sale at my local shop. They're in the ballpark of $200 though I do believe.

Anyway, in my case it's a great deal on a great piece of equipment. 

I've tried it on it's own from an optical out on my macbook and even then un-amped the clarity of sound that I was looking for is present.
It just sounds great coming out of a tube amp though. Very rich warm sound with smooth highs. They bring some bass response to the table for your grado's too. My ears can vouch for that. =) 

One of the best under $400 in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back