DAC Recommendation - $500
Jun 10, 2018 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

starcraft2

100+ Head-Fier
Dear friends,

I will be selling my Dragonfly and invest on a larger DAC for my main system in my living room.
Since I don't have and ideia of what I should look for I ak for you help. I don't need headphone amp included.

500 euro is my budget.

Many thanks

Jun 11, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 14
I like the Schiit Bifrost 4490 or if you can stretch it the Bifrost MB.
If you also like to go portable may b the iFi iDSD or Chord Mojo.
Another route is a Metrum Quad or Octave.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Best bang for buck is still hands down the Micro iDSD BL. It might not be the most convenient for portable usage, but the fact is that it can be used on-the-go, as well as being a perfectly capable desktop solution

can you use the BL without the batteries? those li-batteries usually dont last that long and I just plan to use it on desktop, and is the BL uncolored or un attenuated in certain frequencies? or its the more musical clear type tuning?

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Best bang for buck is still hands down the Micro iDSD BL. It might not be the most convenient for portable usage, but the fact is that it can be used on-the-go, as well as being a perfectly capable desktop solution

Why is this better than the Mojo? The Mojo can be used on the go, and it's tiny. It also works fine as a desktop DAC. Both run on USB power and batteries and decode pretty much anything...

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 14
Why is this better than the Mojo? The Mojo can be used on the go, and it's tiny. It also works fine as a desktop DAC. Both run on USB power and batteries and decode pretty much anything...

In terms of sound quality I find the iDSD to just be a slight step ahead of the Mojo. But really, the biggest difference comes down to features. The only feature the Mojo has over the iDSD is dual headphone outputs (and perhaps size if you consider that a feature)...other than that, the iDSD packs in waaaay more than the Mojo. But of course features only matter if you'd actually use those features. If a dedicated amp section, fully analogue bass boost and 3d effects, IEMatch, powerbank, up to 4W of power, or a longer battery life isn't of particular importance to you, then the Mojo would probably be your best bet.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 14
In terms of sound quality I find the iDSD to just be a slight step ahead of the Mojo. But really, the biggest difference comes down to features. The only feature the Mojo has over the iDSD is dual headphone outputs (and perhaps size if you consider that a feature)...other than that, the iDSD packs in waaaay more than the Mojo. But of course features only matter if you'd actually use those features. If a dedicated amp section, fully analogue bass boost and 3d effects, IEMatch, powerbank, up to 4W of power, or a longer battery life isn't of particular importance to you, then the Mojo would probably be your best bet.

I think the separate amp with analog in is a big plus, but it's twice the size of the Mojo. The other features are totally irrelevant for my use. I would like to have an iDSD because everybody says it sounds great, but it's neither fish nor fowl... too big to be portable and not a desktop unit any more than the Mojo is. I guess if you buy either one you will be happy unless you need analog input.

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 14
I think the separate amp with analog in is a big plus, but it's twice the size of the Mojo. The other features are totally irrelevant for my use. I would like to have an iDSD because everybody says it sounds great, but it's neither fish nor fowl... too big to be portable and not a desktop unit any more than the Mojo is. I guess if you buy either one you will be happy unless you need analog input.

At the end of the day, nobody can tell you what you MUST spend your money on Only you know what factors are important to you and how you plan in using a device. If the form factor of the Mojo is more aligned with that, then I suggest that you perhaps look at the iFi xDSD as well. In terms of sound quality I feel that the xDSD and Mojo are more aligned than what it is between the Mojo and the iDSD (although I haven't directly compared them, so don't take that as gospel). The design of the xDSD is rather polarising, but costing significantly less then the Mojo and being similar in size it might be worth your while to consider it. It's also more feature-rich than the Mojo.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 14
At the end of the day, nobody can tell you what you MUST spend your money on Only you know what factors are important to you and how you plan in using a device. If the form factor of the Mojo is more aligned with that, then I suggest that you perhaps look at the iFi xDSD as well. In terms of sound quality I feel that the xDSD and Mojo are more aligned than what it is between the Mojo and the iDSD (although I haven't directly compared them, so don't take that as gospel). The design of the xDSD is rather polarising, but costing significantly less then the Mojo and being similar in size it might be worth your while to consider it. It's also more feature-rich than the Mojo.

I already have the Mojo and don't need another device in that form factor. I was asking why you think the iDSD is clearly ahead and you answered that, albeit not without some condescenion :wink:

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 14
I already have the Mojo and don't need another device in that form factor. I was asking why you think the iDSD is clearly ahead and you answered that, albeit not without some condescenion :wink:

Apologies, none of that was intended to come across as condescending....I was merely attempting to put an emphasis on the fact that which device is "best" will largely come down to the user's needs and preferences

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 14
Apologies, none of that was intended to come across as condescending....I was merely attempting to put an emphasis on the fact that which device is "best" will largely come down to the user's needs and preferences

Thanks and I agree with your emphasis!

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #13 of 14
Thank you all for the inputs but I am looking for something not portable without battery.

Can the chord and idsd be used everyday on a desktop?

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #14 of 14
Thank you all for the inputs but I am looking for something not portable without battery.

Can the chord and idsd be used everyday on a desktop?

Yes, but they both have a battery and are portable. A desktop DAC usually costs more, not always. I think there a few possibilities in your price range but I have limited experience with separate DACs. Usually I'm using the ones in my audio components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back