DAC or Stick with soundcard?
Jun 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Blotto80

100+ Head-Fier
Would their be any noticeable benefits of buying an inexpensive SPDIF dac over using the analog out from my Auzentech Forte? I've got the upgrade itch and am thinking of grabbing either one of the eBay AK4396 DACs or a Zero and doing some modding.  I'm running HD650s amped through a Sheer Audio HA-006+ amp. My DAC seems like the weak link in my system. I'm generally pleased with the sound I get but I wouldn't mind spending $100 or so to have a new toy to tinker with as long as I can notice some benefit in the end. 
I'm not too interested in a USB DAC as I game a fair amount and like the feature set that the Xfi offers. Any experiences with those DACs? Any others I should consider? Should I not bother unless I plan on going higher end?

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Would their be any noticeable benefits of buying an inexpensive SPDIF dac over using the analog out from my Auzentech Forte?

It would make a difference if your sound card is picking up interference from other parts of the computer (buzzing noises, etc.). Otherwise, it might not be worth it, although I am not familiar with Auzentech cards. Some low cost external DACs could even be a downgrade.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 3
The Auzentech Forte uses a AKM AK4396VF DAC, which I know nothing about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back