DAC or Go Vinyl?
May 20, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC
vinyl is a huge step backwards in sonics and technology IMHO

I value precision and hearing what the mastering engineer/person mixing the music heard as much as possible .... vinyl, that is not ...

I think Steve Hoffman (among others) would like a word with you.

May 20, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #32 of 70
IMO, a DAC will satisfy your needs and keep your library as accessible as possible. It is much more versatile than a vinyl setup will be, and will continue to be useful as digital technology progresses?

May 20, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

DAC

I value precision and hearing what the mastering engineer/person mixing the music heard as much as possible .... vinyl, that is not ...

Oh lord... you will not find many friends here... I'm vinyl-neutral myself, don't have the money for a real set-up, nor the will. However, I certainly don't have the balls to vinyl-bash.

May 20, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

DAC

I attribute this to a lack of experience in high end audio
wink.gif

I think it's perfectly legitimate to prefer the digital sound, but vinyl isn't second rate to any format other than master tapes and live music. IMHO

But I do agree with you in one respect, I think the OP should get a DAC. It's like having a Harley for pure enjoyment but having a car for the practical stuff. The DAC would be the car.

...then get a TT down the road.

May 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very informative post.. but what's MC?

Its a Moving coil cartridge. The rega comes stock with a Moving Magnet cartridge. The moving coil will require more gain and different loadings. You can get this with the Cambridge.

May 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

DAC

LOL..............LOL some more...............LOL LOL LOL... cant stop

May 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMNSHO they both have flaws, and both have benefits. At any given pricepoint, I like them both about the same.

Best statement yet.

May 21, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #39 of 70
I posted a similar thread a few months ago about "toying with the idea of vinyl" and I still am on the lookout for a used turntable. How does the Rega P1 compare to the technics SL1200? Also what does the Cambridge 640P phonostage do? It is an amp, and would I need one if I already have an amp?

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #40 of 70
I love my Rega P1. The 540P/640P is the phone pre-amp for the record player. This applies RIAA EQ curve to the output and amplifies the signal before reaching your main amp, which takes care of the final amplification. There are several consumer level receivers and some integrated amps that have built in phono stages. My onkyo's phono stage got me started, but upgrading to the 540P was an immediate improvement. Plus the 540P was brand new for 80 bucks. The 640P is a little more accurate in applying the RIAA curve, and has support for MC cartridge. I dont think I will go that direction anytime soon, and I figured I'd rather get the 540P at half the price since the Rega has MM cart.

May 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #42 of 70
A phono preamp is absolutely necessary. It provides the necessary 40db gain for line level inputs, as well as RIAA equilization. Do a couple searches on the net if you want to read into it deeper

May 22, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #43 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt take to much from anyone who is going to tell you that it will take X amount of dollars to put together a system (be it vinyl or digital) that will sound better than the other format. To many variables, cant be done.
You can however get a good vinyl system that will make good music for about 7-750.00.
New Rega P1 table/arm/ cartridge 395.00
Used Cambridge 640P phonostage 150.00
used nitty gritty wet cleaner 110.00
brush & cleaning fluid 50.00
Buying the table new will give you the support you may need with setup, or any other help. The Cambridge allows room for cartridge upgrade or switching to MC.

What makes your X amount any better than mine ? Factor in shipping and applicable taxes and your X amount comes in close to what ? My first tier estimate of 1K. Your suggestions are the bare minimum of gear needed. I would suggest you add a Milty Zerostat 3 gun (100.00US) to that list since Vinyl on headphones you get to hear every single little snap crackle and pop on that record (the entry level P1 isn't a miracle worker). Better to have a good stylus cleaner (Onzow Zerodust 69US) on hand as well (the Milty and Stylus cleaner is 169US not including shipping or taxes).

So where are we now with the total.....your gear without taxes and shipping 695.00, + rough estimate for shipping...150-200 including any taxes (might be a bit low actually). 850-900US.....add in the last extra's needed 200US (includes shipping and taxes) and we are where Tom ? Right at the 1- 1.1k mark and the low point of my estimate range. And this is still a bottom of the barrel analog rig.

I'd say my X amount is pretty good.

Peete.

May 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes your X amount any better than mine ? Factor in shipping and applicable taxes and your X amount comes in close to what ? My first tier estimate of 1K. Your suggestions are the bare minimum of gear needed. I would suggest you add a Milty Zerostat 3 gun (100.00US) to that list since Vinyl on headphones you get to hear every single little snap crackle and pop on that record (the entry level P1 isn't a miracle worker). Better to have a good stylus cleaner (Onzow Zerodust 69US) on hand as well (the Milty and Stylus cleaner is 169US not including shipping or taxes).

So where are we now with the total.....your gear without taxes and shipping 695.00, + rough estimate for shipping...150-200 including any taxes (might be a bit low actually). 850-900US.....add in the last extra's needed 200US (includes shipping and taxes) and we are where Tom ? Right at the 1- 1.1k mark and the low point of my estimate range. And this is still a bottom of the barrel analog rig.

I'd say my X amount is pretty good.

Peete.

And this is why IMO is such common phrase on head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back