DAC (no amp) under 200$
Sep 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rhauserjr

New Head-Fier
You can refer me to another thread if you'd like (I'm sure there is one). I was looking at the Audioengine D1 but decided I didn't want to pay extra for a built in amp- also wanted the option to buy a tube amp later on, etc. What is a DAC that is comparable to the D1 that is nothing but a bare bones DAC good for computer listening via headphones/speakers.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 9
The ODAC is a great DAC and can be found here:

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=46

If you do order it be sure to ask for RCA outputs if you require them as they are not part of the standard build.

Total Cost:
$159 + Shipping

I have not heard the D1, but the ODAC is designed with sound quality in mind and is quite affordable compared to other DACs.

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Both of these look great. It seems to me like the audio engine is a great DAC but its over rated because it come with an amp- people plug it in and think it sounds amazing, when half of the improvement is the amp. Anyway, as I do not speak tech, what is the difference between these two (the 100$ model and he ODAC)?

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 9
by the 100$ model you mean the modi... 

modi: 

USB-POWERED ASYNCHRONOUS DAC 
akm chip  
galvanic isolation..... blah blah blah....

ODAC: 

?   
ess sabre chip   
?
don't know much probably proton007 could tell you more about it...  

ess sabres tend to have a narrow soundstage, probably just the implementation, my music demands great soundstage and great dynamics... and for me the modi gives good dynamics, soundstage, detail... but lacks body, bass.   but hey it sounds good and is $99 dollars.
tongue_smile.gif

at the end is all about the music, if you ain't enjoying it, you got the wrong equipment...
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 9
ODAC:

1. Frequency Response 20hz – 19 Khz within +/- 0.1 dB 
  2. All Harmonic, IMD, Alias, Modulation, & Crosstalk Components Below –90 dBFS and total sum below –80 dBFS (0.01%)
  3. All Noise Components below –110 dB and total sum below –100 dBFS
  4. All Jitter Components below –110 dB and total sum below -100 dB

I generally don't like to speculate on soundstage and stuff. Its probably more of a function of the headphone in use than the DAC itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back