Dac Magic / Music Hall Dac25.2 / Digital Link III / iDecco
Mar 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AVDweeb

Head-Fier
Hey Everyone.

I'm going to be spending up to $700 on a DAC, and would love some input. I've done research throughout my evening, but want some tailored advice. My system will be the following:

Airport Express / Mac Mini -> DAC of Choice -> Cambridge 840A V2 -> Statement Monitor Speakers (Statements_Monitor)

I'm really looking for sound stage, articulation, and depth without loosing any detail. I'm not opposed to upgrading any of the amplifiers with new components, and I'm considering going with an upgrade package of the Music Hall Dac25.2 from Affordable Audio (Mods for the Music Hall DAC 25.2 [DAC 25.2 Mod] - $250.00 : Affordable Audio Venice California in West Los Angeles, | AA TECH DESIGN |)

I was previously looking at the DacMagic, as it appears to be an all around good DAC. However, when I've done more research, it seems that I can spend a little more money, and get a much better DAC. I've also added the iDecco in because of the iPod DAC bypass.

Thanks for any input, this is a tough call!!

Russ

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 6
If it were me (having only owned the DLIII), I would probably knock the DacMagic off the list based solely on how superlative the other three options seem. I know from experience that the DLIII is outstanding. The Music Hall 25.2 with upgrades is supposed to be similarly terrific, as is the iDecco. Don't think you can go wrong here.

Re: the DLIII, soundstage, articulartion, depth, and detail are things that I think it does particularly well. It has consistently bested most DACs that I have tested against it in these areas, but occasionally the cost is a midrange that is a touch less lush than some of its competitors.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Right now there are a few DLIII's on Audiogon selling for around $500. Additionally, the Underwood LVL 3 mods are selling for $1200 new, less used. Would you still consider going other routes or looking at an upgraded DLIII?

Thanks.
Russ

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey everyone.

I went with a Cullen modified Stage 4 PS Audio DL III, that I picked up used.

This should be awesome!

Russ
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back