DAC + Home Amp or combined for ~$300
Jun 22, 2007 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Denver Max

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a full solution for listening to headphones while at home. I'd say that the setup will be for Darth Beyers and a higher-end Grado someday, but I may spend that money to upgrade my DT770s and SR-60s on a different headphone like perhaps a K701 or Proline 750 instead, so I don't know what set I'll be using the most.

I would imagine getting a home amp (I do not plan on ever using it outside of my home, I'm fine with the sound out of my iPod for quick commutes) that has a USB DAC built-in is cheaper, what are some recommendations in this price range? I am mostly focused on sound quality but also do not want something ugly
icon10.gif

The other option is getting a home amp like the Gilmore Lite or something similar and a USB DAC in addition to it. I have heard great things about the Gilmore which is why I brought it up, but I know nothing about standalone DACs, any recommendations for that?

I would rather not spend more than ~$300-350 this time around. Sound will be out of the USB port of Apple computers. Thank you.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 12
I do have Mini-toslink through my headphone jack with an adapter, does this help me? Would I then not need a USB DAC?

My model is a CTO machine from last summer, Core Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD.

That could save me some money. How would I hook up toslink to a Gilmore then?

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 12
You need a DAC anyway, but it doesn't need to have USB in. Any DAC with optical input will do for you. I've used my girlfriend macbook to try the optical output with my MicroDAC and it works really great ...

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 12
FS Forum Link

Not mine, but the Dared MP-5 is pretty decent. I heard it before, and it was pretty-good sounding.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. the Fubar and Firestone Audio systems are catching my eye because they look good, are affordable, and seem to be pretty popular around here. Got 3 more questions though:

1. There's a Fubar II USB DAC + Cute Amp setup, but there are 2 Cute amps, one called the "Cute Beyond" and one called the "Battery Cute II." Is the second one a newer version that incorporates a battery for portable use? That's my guess. Otherwise I can't figure it out.

2. There is a Fubar III USB DAC + Headphone Amp integrated unit now available that would be cheaper than the two units above purchased separately. Does anyone have this? Anyone know how it sounds compared to separated units?

3. I'm thinking about getting the separated units because I might buy Firestone's Power Amp also to power some bookshelf 60W speakers for playing at less-than-earthshattering volumes (it looks like the power amp is only 16W/ch), and swap the Fubar II between headphone amp and speakers. Anyone have experience with the power amp and want to comment?

4. I hope to pick up some Ultrasone Proline 2500s soon too, and just want to make sure that they'll be alright being powered by a Cute or Fubar III, they're low impedance but I don't know enough about this to make the judgement call myself. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back