dac help!
May 6, 2008 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

daveip

100+ Head-Fier
hmm ... i'm really stuck!!!!
i'm looking for a USB DAC. i've read through alot of the threads here and as i'm a poor student i'm leaning towards the emu0404 usb. but before i make a choice i want to know if its worth paying the extra for the 0404 compared to something like an alien dac with blackgates and bypass caps which would be abit cheaper.

i've got an alien dac (albeit not here in university with me =/) and i don't need any amplification. I've got enough amps to do that for me.

Suggestions??

Thanks!!!!

edit: i'm looking at somewhat portable stuff. so nothing big or things that need transformers. monica diy is out of the question =/

May 6, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 7
well the avoid all disscusions of audio quality the alien dac is just plug and play with any moden verisons of windows, OSX and linux (and more). This alone means that in 10years time it will probobobly still work fine with the computers around. Wheras it's very unlikly there will be drivers for the 0404.

May 6, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockabillybass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keces DA-151. I'm very impressed with mine.

Would that be portable enough for the OP?

May 6, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 7
uh ... i just took a look at it ... its a tad over my budget with postage from taiwan.

i think i need to figure out what i really want. taking a look at the fubar II, musiland lilo III and USB DAC 24-192KHZ WITH USB TO SPDIF FOR CD PLAYER on eBay, also Single Disc Players, CD Players Recorders, Home Audio, Consumer Electronics (end time 04-Jun-08 08:08:12 BST)

i'm not really a "rack" sorta person and i think the emu 0404 is abit big already! don't really need all the bells and whistles that it comes with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back