DAC help, can I decode SACDs?
Oct 4, 2007 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Binaural Fusion

500+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, thanks in advance for any help you can be.

I have a Stello da 220 mk ii and I'm wondering if I got a cheap universal like the Oppo DV-970HD would be DAC be able to decode SACDs?

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 32
Nope.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 32
I have the Oppo....

It does not have DSD output. It does it's own conversion to PCM. So any external DAC would be running off of this bit stream, not a SACD DSD stream.

I was looking into possible DAC options as well. But after finding this out. I am looking into some high end SACD players (Marantz, Denon (modded)). Then just use them as dedicated single box source.

Cheers,

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 32
Thanks folks. I appreciate the help.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 32
Actually, jpelg, could I trouble you for an explanation, so I'm not posting related questions again?

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 32
i was just reading an article about DACs - can't remember where - and it said that external DACs could not decode SACDs and that the read could only be done in the player itself. why? not sure. either it didn't say or i don't remember. if i come across the article again, i will post it.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 32
I was in a similar position this week and about to pull the trigger on an Oppo for the same purpose....but alas, it cannot be done. No player can output SACD via digital, which I believe has to do with copyrights and some "digital handshaking" required. You do get a few which can output via HDMI but how many DAC's have HDMI input
wink.gif
. The players usually convert DSD to PCM (usually 88.1kHz) and have to output it via analog outs.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 32
From what I know it's how the SACD technology has been step up. I know that SACD drives are a bit unconventional in that they can read a part of the disk that normal drives can't that holds the encryption key. I'm not a pro on the subject by any stretch of the imagination but I'm sure that someone in the know will pipe up. (please?)

I hadn't known that HDMI could handle DSD. Thx Xen. Even though I think there are better digital connection types that coax and such. HDMI is a little flakey, released into the field before wide spread testing or really understanding what it was suppose to do. Just poorly excuted all around. Consumers are kind of being used as the testing platform. I guess we're kind of stuck with it now. I'm sure one day we'll see DACs with HDMI inputs.

OT: where did you pick your Stello da 220 mk ii in Canada?? From that New York distributor? 2nd hand?

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 32
The problem with SACD reading is that the pits on an SACD have a slightly variable length. Normal (DVD) drives cannot detect this, but SACD drives can. Information is stored in these variations and form a "physical watermark" as they call it. In essence, SACDs are just DVDs but with this additional feature and of course other content.

Some players, for example made by Esoteric, have an i.Link output that can output a (encoded?) DSD stream to a DAC that has an i.Link input.

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT: where did you pick your Stello da 220 mk ii in Canada?? From that New York distributor? 2nd hand?

I picked it up second hand, and I think the guy I bought it from got it directly from April Music.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 32
Very enlightening topic... thanks.

So, in essence... if I want to get into SACDs, I better get an SACD deck that has a good analog output stage. An SACD deck digital output feeding a high end DAC would be... pointless... futile???

????

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 32
Hmmm....

We're talking about the Oppo 970, right? For $20.00 more, the Oppo 980 can output the native DSD datastream through its HDMI 1.2a without any DSD>>>PCM conversion. However, you will need to find an external DAC that can decode DSD. Certain HT receivers can do it.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, in essence... if I want to get into SACDs, I better get an SACD deck that has a good analog output stage. An SACD deck digital output feeding a high end DAC would be... pointless... futile???

Toslink or coax digital outputs don't have enough bandwidth to transmit the DSD datastream, which means any digital output of the DSD datatstream will have to go through something like HDMI 1.2 (or above) or DenonLink.

A good analog output stage is essential for a SACD player.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some players, for example made by Esoteric, have an i.Link output that can output a (encoded?) DSD stream to a DAC that has an i.Link input.

That is the only one that I could find in my searching. The image off their site showed the DAC screen with 'DSD' in it. Nice.

But I think that I am going to still look for a really good one box solution.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back