DAC for under $100?
Apr 29, 2007 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

lilmoonee

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a DAC under $100 bucks. USB or optical in. This will be used with a Go-Vibe 6M and Etymotic ER-4S. I listen mainly to rock. Thanks for your input!
etysmile.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 71
Does anybody know how these two compare? Which one is better?

Had my eyes on a Silverstone but the Entech looks like a good alternative also.

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 71
I personally have found that cheap DACs are not much better than a good sound card, if at all. I would save my money for something nicer.

Apr 29, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 71
I know there was one person who compared the Entech and Silverstone, and said that he preferred the Entech.

As for "cheap" DACs vs. soundcards hyped around here, I found that the Entech 203.2 stomps the E-MU 1212M. Wasn't even close, to my ears.

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 71
That EBay Entech link I posted is for 205.2 and is asking $89.99 for buy now. I saw in a review of that DAC that the retail price is $799.99. Is that the correct retail price? If so, then perhaps this $89.99 deal is worth jumping on.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by GendoIkari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I had read good things about the Trends UD-10, I think they are around $75-$85 and they have to come from China, so with shipping it may just squeek under $100.

The Trends unit is well-reviewed for it's USB to coax/optical converter. I'm sure the DAC in it is serviceable, but it's a secondary feature. I doubt it's a very good bang for the buck if you're only using it for the DAC/headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That EBay Entech link I posted is for 205.2 and is asking $89.99 for buy now. I saw in a review of that DAC that the retail price is $799.99. Is that the correct retail price? If so, then perhaps this $89.99 deal is worth jumping on.

I'm not sure on the original retail, but I highly doubt that it was $800. I know the 203.2 had a $300 retail when it was first released though. I would think the $90 deal on the 205.2 is a really good one, but I'm kind of suspicious of the auction. How did the seller nab such a large amount of used, but perfectly functional units? Also, check the seller's feedback. He's gotten two negatives recently for sending the wrong power supply with the 205.2, to which he offers no response to the buyers

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally have found that cheap DACs are not much better than a good sound card, if at all. I would save my money for something nicer.

What he said.

People who say the sub 300-400USD DACs make a 'huge' difference or 'stomp' on the DACs built into certain soundcard often make the mistake of coming to that conclusion because they've necessitated the use of an external amp when they bought an external DAC. This will more often than not skew the whole issue.

I've had about 7-8 DACs now, using the same source(s) and amp(s) and, have come to the conclusion that, given the state of the current market, you need to pay over 300-400USD (either in initial cost OR initial + mods) for a DAC that will take any significant step above 'quality' built-in DACs, and this is if you buy NOS. If you want upsampling or oversampling, you need to pay a GREAT deal more to get any kind of jump. There's a reason that the Benchmark DAC and a bunch of others all float around the 1k mark. It seems to be what most are willing to pay for a DAC in that 'league' WRT SQ. Personally, I've found that NOS DACs half the price compete with any US DAC I've heard for twice the price.

Recommend you save up and get a DAC-AH and have it modded (or do yourself to save money), there are some common mods that people do that make them sound great, some further mods that make them 'astounding'.

Search for the 'curse you head-fi' and see what DAC Jahn settled on after trying out tons of gear.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People who say the sub 300-400USD DACs make a 'huge' difference or 'stomp' on the DACs built into certain soundcard often make the mistake of coming to that conclusion because they've necessitated the use of an external amp when they bought an external DAC. This will more often than not skew the whole issue.

To defend my particular opinion on the 203.2, I've used the Headsave Classic with both the 1212M and the Entech: my emphasis on the inferiority of the E-MU remains the same.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea back when they came out (late 90's) they did sell for that much, they are very good DACs IMHO. They where designed by Peter Madnick (Audio ALchemy) I love my 203.2 there is no comparison between it and the built in DAC on my EMU 0404.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 71
Wow this is kinda weird. I'm on a car related forum, in a thread which nearly exactly echos this one, given the context. And I can use nearly the exact same response - I'm not sure what the 'best' you've used is, and I'm sure the improvements ARE substantial with what you've tried. But unless you've experienced gear costing like... 10x the cost of what we're discussing here, the 'substantialness' of the gains is pretty low, even taking into account the law of diminishing returns for investment. It's only after hearing a Theta Gen VIII DAC and some similar gear that it really lands you on your backside and you realise the differences between 'better' and 'different and I paid a little more'. But then I suppose that goes for everyone, so you have to draw the line somewhere. I just know 003 and I draw it in a different place to you
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess it's comes down to how much you want to upgrade per purchase. After hearing decent DACs, I wouldn't part with much money for even the largest differences noticeable between built-in DACs and external 'cheapies.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back