DAC for tubelover?
Dec 5, 2004 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

toreide

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a suitable dac for use with my HD600's and WA-3 amp. I need a dac that can accept multiple signals from cd, dvd, computer etc. My musical preferences are mostly acoustic rock, blues, jazz and sometimes techno. I am looking for a 2nd hand unit costing less than 1000$.

A lot of people rave about the Benchmark, but after reading most of what has been said, I have the impression it has a lightwight sound that leans towards bright. I might be wrong of course
tongue.gif

A love the fullbodied sound that I got from my previous home system. It was based around a Sony CDPX779ES cd-player, Conrad Johnson CAV52 int. amp and Proac Response 2.5 loudspeakers. To put it simple I like a vinyl like

A few dacs that seems like good buys to me are:

Musical Fidelity A324
MSB Link DAC's

I do not know if these have the possibility to use multiple digital sources.

Hope you guys can help me with some recommendations!

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 17
Go to the Audiogon web site and look at the used stuff that is for sale... just about every high-end manufacturer is represented. Then when you find something that interests you and is in your price range, go to the Audio Review web site and read the reviews on that particular item. Those two web sites should help you to make an informed decision.

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by toreide
I need a dac that can accept multiple signals from cd, dvd, computer etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
easy one, apogee mini dac.

Ditto.

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 17
toreide is looking for a specific sound not personal favorites and it would be a help to him if those with experience in this area and have dacs sounding as described would weigh in.just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 17
There are several DAC's I would recommend. The Bel Canto DAC2 accepts two inputs and has a smooth, warm sound. I would also highly recommend the Perpetual P-3A. It has more detail than the Bel Canto but is also very smooth with solid mid-range and bass. The Bel Canto's are going for $700-$800 on Audiogon. I've seen P-3A's for $300 - $400. You might also want to check out the Musical Fidelity X-Dac v3. I haven't had the chance to hear it yet, but it's getting good reviews and MF's house sound fits your taste.

Dec 6, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for all the advice so far.

The Apogee seems like a good candidate. I really need the multiple input option. That rules out a lot of good dacs.

My current list:

Apogee Minidac
Bel Canto DAC2
Cary 303/200 and 306/200

Dec 6, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
A few more to add to your list that are likely to fit the sound you like

Kora, Electrocompaniet,.....

I have owned many of Electrocompaniet's amplifier products. As a Norwegian it was a natural thing to do
smily_headphones1.gif

As my ears were exposed to tubes, there was no way back for me though, and now EC has gone bust......I think they're up and running again now, but have moved production to eastern parts of Europe.

Jan 10, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalbill
There are several DAC's I would recommend. The Bel Canto DAC2 accepts two inputs and has a smooth, warm sound. I would also highly recommend the Perpetual P-3A. It has more detail than the Bel Canto but is also very smooth with solid mid-range and bass. The Bel Canto's are going for $700-$800 on Audiogon. I've seen P-3A's for $300 - $400. You might also want to check out the Musical Fidelity X-Dac v3. I haven't had the chance to hear it yet, but it's getting good reviews and MF's house sound fits your taste.

How is it that the P-3A is better than the DAC2 but costs half as much?

Jan 10, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by photobob
I presently have an ACK DACK and am interested in the P3-a. Anybody have experience with both these dacs?

I got the ACK DAC because I also wanted a tubey DAC. My hunch is that the P3-A may have more dynnamics...???

I had a p1a/p3a combination with all the extras(upgrade power cables/ I2S cable/ upgrade power supply) driven by a PS Audio Lambda dedicated transport and powered by a p300 power plant. Even with all the attention to detail this dac was a little thin sounding and had a slight edge or grain in the treble; dynamics were average. I enjoyed it for three years or so but once I heard the modded sacdmods 555es I sold the dac combo. The 555es was half the combos price and had more bass, dynamics, midrange resolution and treble refinement. The 555es was just more musical too.

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Like sacd lover, I also own the P-3A/P-1A combo w/ the P3 power supply & cables. The only difference is that my P-3A has the Modwright level 1 mod. I'm not sure how much difference this makes over stock, but my particular dac has solid bass response. I have listened to it both with and without the P-1A and liked it either way. I would certainly defer to sacd lover's evaluation and agree that the treble is a little grainy, but not overly so for this price level.

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalbill
Like sacd lover, I also own the P-3A/P-1A combo w/ the P3 power supply & cables. The only difference is that my P-3A has the Modwright level 1 mod. I'm not sure how much difference this makes over stock, but my particular dac has solid bass response. I have listened to it both with and without the P-1A and liked it either way. I would certainly defer to sacd lover's evaluation and agree that the treble is a little grainy, but not overly so for this price level.

I would guess the mod bettered the bass response. I always thought my stock P-3A sounded a little tipped up and/or to lean through the bass; with or without the P-1A. The upgrade power supply helped but the overall sound was just a tad to bright at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back