DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks
Feb 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #16 of 28
A (better/good) DAC to get quality signal. A (better/good) amplifier to power the headphones.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #17 of 28
Curious about the pairing, I just picked up a pair of HE-500's and will be investing in a Emotiva mini-x. and one of the audio gd products looked tempting as a DAC. 

I'm guessing OP has combo now. How do you like it?

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
Curious about the pairing, I just picked up a pair of HE-500's and will be investing in a Emotiva mini-x. and one of the audio gd products looked tempting as a DAC. 

I'm guessing OP has combo now. How do you like it?

I have the HE-6 (feel free to subs for the HE-500) + the Mini-X + NFB 3.32
I think it is a really good starting setup.
The amp is excellent. Enough power for anything with lots of headroom. Transparent and neutral. The instrument separation is great the soundstaging is slightly speaker like (left - right - center, but also in between, so kinda 3D with slight tilt towards 3 blob imaging) nonetheless decent and for the money excellent
The DAC is also pretty good. Very neutral and transparent. provides both visceral bass and great midrange as well as precise  airy vocals.
Soundstage is slightly intimate so not the hugest but again really good instrument separation.
The amp is not as revealing or detailed as the higher end offerings but makes almost anything listenable thanks to that.
I think this combo is really good. Honestly, the best sound I have heard so far.
For a starting setup, with budget dac+amp, you cant ask for much more. Very satisfied.

Check my sig for the full review (HP review, amp and DAC impressions)

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #19 of 28
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be ugly) :p

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be ugly) :p

You are welcome :)
As long as you like it, everything is magnificent :)
My next DAC will probably be one with the Sabre ES9018 or PCM1704UK if still used by that time :)
The amp alone is a bargain already so I recommend going with the Mini (which is not so mini after all...)

May 31, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #21 of 28
I just ordered a MiniX for my 5LE. The Kyr sounded alright but not fantastic. The Burson Soloist sounds good but it's congested because it lacks power for the cans.you think he MiniX will satisfy me?

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #22 of 28
I just ordered a MiniX for my 5LE. The Kyr sounded alright but not fantastic. The Burson Soloist sounds good but it's congested because it lacks power for the cans.you think he MiniX will satisfy me?

Yes it most definitely will.
It is an amazing amp for the HE-6/HE-5LE/HE-500 for the money :)

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #23 of 28
If it works well, I might end up getting a speaker amp for maybe more like$500 because I know that's all I will be thinking about haha, KT-120's :p

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
If it works well, I might end up getting a speaker amp for maybe more like$500 because I know that's all I will be thinking about haha, KT-120's :p

Sure, but do keep in mind that more expensive doesnt always mean better. Its always better to do a little research before purchasing the said amplifier,
That sad, good luck with the Mini, its a proven amp. I am sure you will like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back