DAC for SR-009/BHSE
Jul 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #32 of 88
Quote:
I'm going to try the DP1 with my 009 for a week, let's see how it is compared to the Audio-gd NFB 7.32. I don't have the BHSE though.

I have a DP1, but I am currently waiting for my BHSE... when that arrives I shall report.  The only thing is how long is the wait?
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #33 of 88
The DP-1 looks interesting. It's within my price range, I don't really want to spend more than 5 or 6 K. I know that a lot of people on the forums have the PerfectWave DAC's in that price range, but I'm a little apprehensive of getting a PerfectWave because several head-fi'ers whom I respect have commented that it's overrated for the price. I should audition one or two first before buying if I can. Ideally, if cost weren't a concern, I'd probably like to get an Esoteric DAC, similar to what David1961 owns. I have a friend with some Esoteric products and they're truly great, but they'll probably be out of my price range for a while.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #34 of 88
I've listened to the DP1 for a few days and it is indeed a very good source: good timbre, excellent soundstage, 3D, altough not very deep, and easy on the ears. But it comes with some features I'm not going to use, such as the preamp and headphone output. So I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it.
I've auditioned the Akurate DS and it was excellent, but a bit expensive.
Next on my list are the Auralic Vega, the Metrum Hex and the AMR DP-777. Hope I'll find the way to listen to them.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #36 of 88
The DP-1 looks interesting. It's within my price range, I don't really want to spend more than 5 or 6 K. I know that a lot of people on the forums have the PerfectWave DAC's in that price range, but I'm a little apprehensive of getting a PerfectWave because several head-fi'ers whom I respect have commented that it's overrated for the price. I should audition one or two first before buying if I can. Ideally, if cost weren't a concern, I'd probably like to get an Esoteric DAC, similar to what David1961 owns. I have a friend with some Esoteric products and they're truly great, but they'll probably be out of my price range for a while.

For sometime I've been using a MacMini as a music server, and if I'd have been doing that the time I got the K-01, I might have been better off getting the Esoteric D-01 DAC.
However, I've a few CD's and SACD's so with the K-01 I can listen to them when wanted, but since using the MacMini which is connected to the K-01 via a USB cable, I very rarely use my CD's.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #37 of 88
Quote:

I'm sure the top-end Esoteric will be better but the DP-1 was very musical indeed with my BHSE & SR009.  Still, it was better by my modified Exemplar Denon 5910.
Quote:
I've listened to the DP1 for a few days and it is indeed a very good source: good timbre, excellent soundstage, 3D, altough not very deep, and easy on the ears. But it comes with some features I'm not going to use, such as the preamp and headphone output. So I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it.
I've auditioned the Akurate DS and it was excellent, but a bit expensive.
Next on my list are the Auralic Vega, the Metrum Hex and the AMR DP-777. Hope I'll find the way to listen to them.

Yep, the DP-1 was easy on the ear.  The midrange is a little upfront to some though, which I agree.  Yes, I asked myself time and time again if I'm paying more for a pretty case & other features that I don't need....still the DP-1 did win me over on the musicality alone.  I DP-1 is a great deal if you can find one used for around 2.2k though.  It was drastically better than my W4S DAC-2 in a direct comparison.  For DAC around 2k, the NAD M51 is also top notch. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #38 of 88
I think the Auralic Vega would make a great match.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #40 of 88
I Will vote for. " Total Dac D-1 Dual " or " audio research Ref Dac". ( Booth Balanced )

But may be too expensive :)

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #41 of 88
Don't settle for anything but this

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #42 of 88
Quote:
Don't settle for anything but this

!!!!  Whah.. never heard about it !  Is it manufactured by Stax, the headphone company ?  or by "another STAX" ? 

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #44 of 88
Quote:
I Will vote for. " Total Dac D-1 Dual " or " audio research Ref Dac". ( Booth Balanced )

But may be too expensive :)

Yeah, I think both of those are out of my price range unfortunately. The Totaldac D-1 looks like it's half the price of the Audio Research DAC, but it's still around $7,000 or so. Thanks for the recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back