DAC for SR-009/BHSE
Feb 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #76 of 88
Well, in reply to the above, I have for a while now stated that you need a super smooth DAC for the 009s, whether the amp is a BHSE or Carbon TBH. That DAC in my book is invariably tubed, and / or R-2R. As to the review it may or may not be system related, the speakers may be a bit bright, or the power amp. Difficult to know, not heard it.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #78 of 88

I'd say the DAC 1 will be a poor match. It was good with more mellow Stax amps, but is less pleasant with more revealing equipment. I don't think someone would be saving money, but actually wasting it if the DAC that they ended up with was a poor match.

Is there a dac you recommend for 009s under 1000$?

Look at an R-2R and preferably tubed IMO. You will get the sound you are after IMO (smooth, warmish and not clinical / synthetic).

The Audio Note kit DACs are very good and easy to assemble. If you want finished product, look at a used Aqua La Scala, Metrum Pavane or Hex. The Arye QB9 is suited but not R-2R, still rated by some on the 009 and BHSE. Otherwise is all all pretty much DS DACs and maybe too clinical for your system. A used Yggy may suit, but hard to find used I would think.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #79 of 88
Look at an R-2R and preferably tubed IMO. You will get the sound you are after IMO (smooth, warmish and not clinical / synthetic).

The Audio Note kit DACs are very good and easy to assemble. If you want finished product, look at a used Aqua La Scala, Metrum Pavane or Hex. The Arye QB9 is suited but not R-2R, still rated by some on the 009 and BHSE. Otherwise is all all pretty much DS DACs and maybe too clinical for your system. A used Yggy may suit, but hard to find used I would think.

How is April music dp-1 dac?

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #80 of 88
Cheaper solution might be the holo spring which is an interesting DAC.

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #82 of 88
This one DAC from CanEVER could be a good ticket to warm-up a little the SR009 while maintening very high level of details ? 

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #83 of 88
GET THE YGGY.......     
L3000.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #85 of 88
One contender for DAC below $1000:http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80

Musical Paradise MP-D2 w/c cost on $999

Adjust Tubes and Caps to liking after.

It has a thread here in Head-fi.org. Seems the vinyl and tube rolling peeps liked it very much.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #86 of 88
Not much mention of Chord Dave on these threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back