Dac for no more than $1000
Jan 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

coinup

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a RSA Raptor with Grado RS-1's, I am looking at a dac with asyncronous usb. I have looked at Musical Fidelity's Vdac II and Mhdt's Stockholm can anyone recommend any other dac's preferably with
a valve stage.

I am vinyl man heart an all my music is lossless, so something than is sweet sounding and warm would be nice.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 16
Why's async USB so important?  

Find a used Benchmark DAC1 USB for under $1000 (this is a rather sterile and cold sound, though, transparent - not warmly colored as you might prefer), it's got some of the best adaptive usb implementation around. It is not as if the worst of the async's are better than the best of the adaptives; I do not believe the differences in sound between implementations is a gulf so great as that.  

Anyway, I'd say don't worry too much about adaptive vs asynchronous, and go for as transparent and distortionless a DAC as possible. Let the amplifier and the speakers or headphones provide your color.  

You might also refer to the lists found here: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC.htm to get some ideas of models that are out there.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #6 of 16
Thankyou for everyone's reply, but I was looking for a dac hopefully without headphone support.

Burson's own dac looks interesting, with a nicely populated circuit board(s), looks a lot better value than wavelength's options, especially with their near empty $6500 tube dac.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm upgrading from my Yulong D100 to the Yulong D18. Pure DAC, rca and balanced XLR output, quite under budget and Project 86 seems to love it. Sabre chip as well, and the descriptions seem to match what you're after.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Thankyou for everyone's reply, but I was looking for a dac hopefully without headphone support.

Burson's own dac looks interesting, with a nicely populated circuit board(s), looks a lot better value than wavelength's options, especially with their near empty $6500 tube dac.

The Dac section on my 160Ds is pretty good, i guess the dedicated improves that in every aspect. 

There's a review comparing it to the Antelope zodiac dac + (a 2k unit) and the results were good, describing the burson as warmer, less critical, full and rich. Not very far from it. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 16
I know of the burson op-amp upgrade board, but the mhdt stockholm has a 10 or so op amp chip, does anyone know of a similar thing to the burson option that can be fitted?

Look like I have my heart set on a stockholm.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #12 of 16
Check out a Wyred 4 Sound DAC1, or a used DAC2 if you can stretch your budget a little or find a good deal.

I have the 160D, it's DAC is good, but not as nice as the W4S.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #13 of 16
I have had a look at the wyred dac1,but compared to a dac by audio-gd vastly more simplified internals, whats people thoughts on component count in a dac, more or less which is better?

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 16
Not an expert on internals by any stretch, but good ears and common sense will tell you that the number of internal components is nowhere near as relevant as their implementation, IE final output sound.

Jump over in the dedicated source component forum and ask about the audioGD vs W4S, I haven't heard the former so I can't help you. The latter however is the best component I have bought thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back