DAC for MacBook Pro
Nov 30, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #16 of 27
Thanks. I will look into the 2Qute over the next few days and re-consider if I need the headphone amp or only a straight DAC. Is there a good dealer in the US where i can buy one if I move forward with this? I wish my budget could extend to the Brooklyn.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #17 of 27
Hi guys,

I'm also looking for a DAC for MabBook, but connecting to a pair of powered speakers. The speakers have XLR input. Does that mean I must buy a DAC with balanced outputs?

Budget is $ 300 but willing to stretch for good choices. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #18 of 27
Hi guys,

I'm also looking for a DAC for MabBook, but connecting to a pair of powered speakers. The speakers have XLR input. Does that mean I must buy a DAC with balanced outputs?

Budget is $ 300 but willing to stretch for good choices. Thanks!

Hijacking my thread!

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #20 of 27
Thanks. I will look into the 2Qute over the next few days and re-consider if I need the headphone amp or only a straight DAC. Is there a good dealer in the US where i can buy one if I move forward with this? I wish my budget could extend to the Brooklyn.

https://www.moon-audio.com/chord-2-qute-dac.html

You'd have to buy a used one for it to be under $1,000.

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 27
If you plan to change the amplifier in the future I would go with a truly balanced DAC (and go balanced all the way up to the earspeakers). I just have a lambda system but noticed a difference between the single ended and balanced outputs of my previous and current DAC (AQVOX USB 2D/A MkII and Yggdrasil). A new (because of the warranty) Gumby would be a good bet in that price range. If you are going to keep the amplifier, a DAC just with single ended outputs would be cheaper and more versatile (e.g. DSD, maybe with a headphone amplifier). Software makes a difference. Audirvana is good but unless you are willing to make some changes every time there is a OSX update, Direct Mode is broken in the last OSX versions, still sounds good though...

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #24 of 27
If you plan to change the amplifier in the future I would go with a truly balanced DAC (and go balanced all the way up to the earspeakers). I just have a lambda system but noticed a difference between the single ended and balanced outputs of my previous and current DAC (AQVOX USB 2D/A MkII and Yggdrasil). A new (because of the warranty) Gumby would be a good bet in that price range. If you are going to keep the amplifier, a DAC just with single ended outputs would be cheaper and more versatile (e.g. DSD, maybe with a headphone amplifier). Software makes a difference. Audirvana is good but unless you are willing to make some changes every time there is a OSX update, Direct Mode is broken in the last OSX versions, still sounds good though...

Thanks. I agree and I am now looking to go balanced all the way up the chain. What is a good alternative to Audionirvana for the MacBook Pro?

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #25 of 27
Thanks all. Updating the current list:

• Schiit Gumby
  • Metrum Amethyst
  • Benchmark DAC
  • Soekris DAC1421
  • Chord Mojo
  • 2Qute
  • Gustard DAC X-20
  • Aune S6
  • Questyle CMA400i
  • Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC
  • Audiobyte Black Dragon DSD DAC (used)
  • Mytek Brooklyn DAC (used)
  • Holo Audio Cyan DAC/AMP

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #26 of 27
Dec 5, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #27 of 27
If Direct Mode (Audirvana) is important to you, there are ways to keep it:

A) If you are on El Capitan, don’t upgrade to (High) Sierra. Or if MBP is for music only, install/downgrade to El Capitan.

B) Keep El Capitan and latest OS on separate partitions on MBP. Boot into the former when playing music, and the latter for everything else.

C) On latest OS replace kext file with El Capitan one (mentioned above by axle_69). Needs to be repeated after every OS upgrade.

Here is more info about option C. Whether lack of Direct Mode will actually reduce sound quality seems debatable, I wouldn’t abandon Audirvana just on that.

According to the link Direct Mode is essentially a custom "audiophile" driver Damien (Audirvana developer) coded to take the place of the OS X Core Audio driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back