DAC for MacBook Pro
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Vicks7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I’ve decided to use my stax
009s and GES amp in the office with my 2017 MacBook Pro as a source (still deciding what is best software). I now need a usb dac and would appreciate any recommendations from the group. Listen mainly to jazz and acoustic. Thanks very much.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 27
How much are you looking to spend?

I'm a big fan of Chord DACs for their groundbreaking technical performance and musical sound. Had the 2Qute and Mojo, both of which I would recommend at their respective price points. General consensus is that the higher-end models (such as the Hugo 2 and DAVE, which I have not yet heard) are considerably better still. They should work on a Mac without requiring any drivers.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 27
Thanks - I wanted to spend less than US$1,000.

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 27
Thanks. I have realized that if the DAC also has a headphone out, I could then also use my office system with my Grados and Epsilon "Grado Mod" that Fleasbay built for me as well as the Stax through the GES amp.

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 27
Thanks - I wanted to spend less than US$1,000.
Thanks. I have realized that if the DAC also has a headphone out, I could then also use my office system with my Grados and Epsilon "Grado Mod" that Fleasbay built for me as well as the Stax through the GES amp.

The Mojo is easily the best DAC/amp I've owned. Comparing it to ones that cost thousands, I didn't hear much difference, honestly. I think it's a superb value, especially considering all the things it can do and all the technology packed into it. Although it's battery-powered, you can use it as a desktop DAC (I used a 5V 2A micro USB wall charger for that) in addition to a portable one.

The 2Qute can be found on the used market for under $1,000 and has even better sound, but it's a "straight" DAC with no headphone output.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 27
Soekris DAC1421 might fit your bill (DAC/AMP). The BorderPatrol DAC looks interesting also (DAC only). Or one of the DACs from MHDT Labs might work for you (DAC only). If you up the budget, Metrum Amethyst (DAC/AMP) could work for you. I don’t know how Grado will sound with Soekris or Metrum built-in amp, you would need to search this out yourself (ask owners in the relevant threads).

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 27
Thanks All. I am checking out the Gumby. What are peoples' views on the Benchmark DAC/Amps? They may have an older model that comes under budget. Kvik - thanks - I also looked up the Metrum Amethyst recently and emailed them - this DAC is PCM by default and I would need to set conversion in Audionirvana from DSD to PCM. So maybe a short list so far as follows:
  • Schiit Gumby
  • Metrum Amethyst
  • Benchmark DAC
  • Soekris DAC1421
  • Chord Mojo
  • 2Qute (but no headphone amp stage)
  • Gustard DAC X-20 - a giant killer some say but over budget and I think DAC only
Unfortunately I am limited in budget as would like to purchase the T + A DSD 8 DAC for my main rig in the near future.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 27
A few more that might be of interest (all DAC/AMP, some of them DSD)

Aune S6
Questyle CMA400i
Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC

Audiobyte Black Dragon DSD DAC (used)
Mytek Brooklyn DAC (used)

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 27
Thanks kvik. Updating the list below for anyone else following this thread. The Mytek Brooklyn is a very solid DAC and would be ideal but I have never seen this below the $1,000 mark used. To date I have been using my AK240 and its "line out" to the GES Amp for Stax listening but it is just ok. Connected directly to my Grados or Epsilon Modded phones the AK240 sounds wonderful but when used in this way as a source to the amp, much less so. For this reason I want to switch to a MacBook pro or other server and dedicated DAC for desktop listening.

• Schiit Gumby
  • Metrum Amethyst
  • Benchmark DAC
  • Soekris DAC1421
  • Chord Mojo
  • 2Qute (but no headphone amp stage)
  • Gustard DAC X-20 - a giant killer some say but over budget and I think DAC only
  • Aune S6
  • Questyle CMA400i
  • Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC
  • Audiobyte Black Dragon DSD DAC (used)
  • Mytek Brooklyn DAC (used)

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #12 of 27
Since AK240+Grado already works well, how about just adding a DAC with optical-in, to be connected to GES. That way you only need to focus on the DAC part, rather than gambling on finding an equally good match as AK240 for the AMP part.

I don’t know if office/desk space is an issue, but AK240 + optical DAC would likely take up less space than MacBook Pro + DAC/AMP. If you would actually prefer to play DSD via MacBook Pro/Audirvana+ (or other softwareplayer), rather than continuing with AK240, that’s a different scenario then.

As much as Chord Mojo impressed me, when I had it, I still think GES/009 deserves a better DAC, so the Chordette 2Qute would be my choice (of the two). If you decide on AK240 + new DAC (only), the Soekris DAC1321 (DAC only) is cheaper than DAC1421 (DAC/AMP).

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 27
Thanks kvik - I had not considered using the AK240 only as a transport and adding an optical DAC for use with the GES and Stax. I will give it some more thought, I had thought that a DAC/Amp with a better source (Macbook Pro running Audionirvana) would also yield better results on the Grados and Epsilons. I do not have any space issue in the office - see attached photo. Forgive me for the temporary headphone stands!
IMG_6448.JPG

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 27
I run MBP/A+(2.6) at home at the moment, and have also used it as office source for an extended period previously. It works well, so I am not trying to talk you out of it. With the A+ Remote app (on an iphone/ipad) it’s very easy to control playing. And the sound is excellent (with AIFF in my case).

It’s just that I think finding the right DAC/AMP/headphone combo (matching ones personal preferences) isn’t always easy. So, when it’s found (in your case AK240/Grado), it might be worth sticking with/building upon it, rather than exploring completely new constellations.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #15 of 27
As much as Chord Mojo impressed me, when I had it, I still think GES/009 deserves a better DAC, so the Chordette 2Qute would be my choice (of the two).

I'd agree with this. That colored light on top is sexy too!

For those who don't know, the 2Qute does not have a power switch; the only way to turn it on is by connecting the power supply, so if you want to turn it off, you just unplug it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back