DAC for macbook pro and Grado sr80s?
Dec 28, 2008 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

redrum42

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

firstly im a new member and decided to get the grado sr80s as a result of reading these forums so a big thanks to you all!

I currently have a macbook pro which i using to drive the grados (or sometimes connecting macbook to my amp, a Grundig m100-A, and then to the grados). I have no idea of the quality of the internal DAC in the macbook but would I benefit from an external dac and/or headphone amp to drive the grados? I was thinking maybe the ZERO 24-bit or something in that price range.

Also, as much as I do like the grados and appreciate their amazing detail I do find them a little too thin and harsh in the highs. So do you have any suggestions of a dac/headphone amp that would give nice smooth highs and full lows to go with the grado sound?

thanks!

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 7
The internal DAC in the MacBook is good, but you would always benefit from an external DAC. The real question would be whether it is worth it. I personally wouldn't until I sprung for higher end cans.

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 7
My second DAC was the Zero. While it's a big step up from the MacBook Pro's internal DAC, the quality control on the units (which you get through sellers who modify them slightly) was lacking, so I asked a small Chinese company to make something better. One of the test headphones I asked the maker to test with was the SR60s or SR80s, specifically as they are popular entry-level headphones. We're currently awaiting units for review.

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 7
I didn't know Mac's had a built in DAC let alone something decent enough to mention that it's decent. I like the idea of getting the new Macbook Pro. Hey, do they make a firewire DAC by any chance?

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 7
An external DAC (higher quality) will improve the performance compared to the DAC built into your MacBook Pro. So would an external dedicated headphone amplifier.
It depends if its worth it for you and your Grado SR80's though.

I would use the $$ on a higher graded 'phone first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back