DAC for Mac OS
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

JLai

1000+ Head-Fier
Been looking at some DACs...It seems like the weakspot in my chain as I'm no longer using the ThinkPad as my main computer source, thus no longer using the Indigo DJ as my DAC.

My current home setup consists of iMac --> Cardas HPI --> MisterX SwitchBox w/ CrossFeed --> Monster iCable --> Gilmore Lite LE w/ PSU (Miova Power Cord) --> HD650/Zu Mobius, HD25-1 II/Moon Audio modified HD600 Cable, SR60, E500, MD33S

So how would these compare?

Stock 24" iMac ($0...what I'm using now)
Fubar II ($120 + shipping)
Keces 151 ($250 + shipping)
Headroom MicroDAC 2007 ($399 + shipping)

Would the 16 bit in the Fubar II be a big difference b/t the 24 bit in the others? How much of a jump in SQ can I expect from my stock iMac? Where's the sweetspot? Is each step worth the jump in price?

Thanks ahead.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 19
Apogee Duet. My setup is mac mini > time capsule > duet. Are you coming to CanJam? If you are, my set up will be there if you want to check it out before buying. You can get the Duet from Sweatwater.com with 30 days to try it out.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 19
Apogee Duet - My set-up is Apple Macbook - Apogee Duet - Headroom Desktop Portable

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apogee Duet. My setup is mac mini > time capsule > duet. Are you coming to CanJam? If you are, my set up will be there if you want to check it out before buying. You can get the Duet from Sweatwater.com with 30 days to try it out.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to CanJam.
frown.gif
Full time work and school have me on lock down.

The Duet is more for recording, no? I wouldn't really make use of that function. Its also a bit above my budget...but knowing my habits, I'll probably be ungrading to something like that by the end of the year, lol.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to CanJam.
frown.gif
Full time work and school have me on lock down.

The Duet is more for recording, no? I wouldn't really make use of that function. Its also a bit above my budget...but knowing my habits, I'll probably be ungrading to something like that by the end of the year, lol.

When grawk gives some specific instructions I may use it for some needle drops but until then it's been used with my mac mini for listening to music. It's a great dac for the money. I can't help you with the budget issue but short of that, it's an excellent way to go with the imac. Too bad about CanJam.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When grawk gives some specific instructions I may use it for some needle drops but until then it's been used with my mac mini for listening to music. It's a great dac for the money. I can't help you with the budget issue but short of that, it's an excellent way to go with the imac. Too bad about CanJam.

3/3 recommend the Apogee...hummm. I might have to divert some car modding funds if its THAT good. Thanks for the help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 19
If you have a Mac...you owe yourself to try the Duet. If you don't like it, you can always return it for full refund.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a Mac...you owe yourself to try the Duet. If you don't like it, you can always return it for full refund.

I think that there still has not been a single Duet posted for sale here, which is definitely a very good sign that people who have bought them are pretty happy with them.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 19
The price is not really that bad, if you take into account that the built-in headphone amp is very good. In fact, I do believe that for the same money I'd take a Duet over an E-MU 0404 USB and an X-CAN v3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back