DAC for M^3 (USB input)
Apr 18, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 24
I use a GoVibe USB DAC. It doesn't have an RCA output but you can use an RCA to minijack cable. It costs less then $60 in Singapore.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kodreaming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a M^3. I will need a usb dac that have RCA output.
I want something not too big and less than $200 dollars.

Thank you.

Hi kodreaming

Unfortunately you're not going to get much out of your M^3 with a sub $200 USB DAC. Spend more, you won't be sorry. The M^3 is a tremendous amp and will really benefit from a better source.

For example, I'm using a USB Constantine with an M^3 as a axillary rig and it comes up short relative to how the Constantine sounds when optically connected....
frown.gif

orig.jpg

d-_-b

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 24
Well the best thing under $200 is the EMU0404. Bump up the price and check out the KECES DA151. I think its $230, but I'm not sure. DACs are meant for home use, so most units aren't that small. I can't think of a small stand-alone DAC. Hope that helps.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 24
Keep in mind that the source is more important than the amp.

It sounds like your best choice for a laptop could have been a Pico.

Is this the 404 you're considering?

Product Dimensions from Amazon: 12 x 6 x 10 inches ; 5 pounds : seems to be bigger and heavier than the Constantine which is 10 x 6 x 2.5 (including the overlapping face plate)

E-MU 404

Btw, which op amps are in your M^3?

USG

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 24
I want a desktop amp to drive cans, like k701 or k240...

The reason I am not too knee on DAC is that I don't find the difference between my EMU 1212m and Realtek ALC883 on my motherboard is really siginificant..... (even for FLAC files).

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kodreaming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want a desktop amp to drive cans, like k701 or k240...

The reason I am not too knee on DAC is that I don't find the difference between my EMU 1212m and Realtek ALC883 on my motherboard is really siginificant..... (even for FLAC files).

Hi KD

That is interesting. I would think that there should be a big difference between your 1212 to the M^3, and the analog out of your computer to the M^3.

I'm using a Realtek ALC650 optically out of my computers and I can hear a noticeable difference between each of my 4 DACs with my M^3.

Hey, I just had a though... what cans are you listening with?

USG

d-_-b

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 24
if youre willing to do a little work you can get a nice DAC with that budget. In the event that you decide that you like how it sounds, you can add more modules to enhance performance Ex. ASRC upsampler, dual mono mode, etc.

TwistedPear Opus DAC + USB = 175 shipped.

You could use RCA/XLR or you could wire the outputs straight into the M^3's input header.

the modules take up 3.3"x2" (stackable too) plus the transformer. You could fit this stuff in a really tiny enclosure.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 24
You can look into the Zero DAC that I have. I wanted that M^3 you bought I think to pair with my Zero DAC/Amp. The Zero is a very good budget DAC that has MANY MANY useful inputs and outputs. You could also purchase a USB to optical for very cheap as the Zero only takes optical, but it will be worth your while.

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi KD

That is interesting. I would think that there should be a big difference between your 1212 to the M^3, and the analog out of your computer to the M^3.

I'm using a Realtek ALC650 optically out of my computers and I can hear a noticeable difference between each of my 4 DACs with my M^3.

Hey, I just had a though... what cans are you listening with?

USG

d-_-b

let me clarify a bit. I don't have an amp right now. My comment on EMU 1212 and the onboard Realtex sound was straight out of my 2 headphones I owned. (A700 and D2000).
I do can tell difference when playing certain type of music (classical mostly).
But, it is not something significant enough that I will say, "This sucks, I got to listen through my EMU 1212).

I am thinking it might be due to the fact that I don't have an amp... or my ears can't really tell the difference.. :frowning2:. That's will be a curse/bless I guess....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back