DAC for Bottlehead Crack and Beyerdynamic T1's - help me narrow my options
Nov 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jbeard

New Head-Fier
I have a Bottlehead Crack that I am about to update with the speedball option.  I currently run the tubes it came with fed from a MacBook Pro through an HRT Music Streamer II.  It sounds great, but I have noticed it sounds better when it is fed through my Logitech Squeezebox Touch which has me wondering about a new DAC for my MacBook.

I am considering the following:
Schiit Bifrost
EE Minimax DAC +
Halide DAC HD
JKDAC32

I am willing to spend around $1200 on a DAC but would prefer to spend less if I could.  I am hesitant to spend much as the technology seems to change so fast.

USB is a must and it would also be nice to have S/PDIF, but it is not necessary. 

What are your thoughts?

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 10
One option is to get a $30 USB to Ethernet adapter and connect SBT to MBP.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Concero. You'll love it.

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm intrigued. Looks small which would be a nice plus. How does it compare to the bifrost which seems to be in the same price range?

I have actually never heard a bifrost. I have heard a Gungnir, and while I'm a little hesitant to rely too heavily on my memory, I think the Concero would win that shootout and it wouldn't be close.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 10
The ODAC is nice, I've got one feeding my Crack to HD600 and I'm very happy.

Edit: Doesn't have S/PDIF though, but you said it wasn't a deal breaker. A big pro though is that it's much below your maximum price and well documented on NwAvGuy's (albeit biased) blog.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Either a PS Audio Digital Link III with or without a separate ("better") USB/SPDIF adapter - look for those in the For Sale section here.  New they are 699 (down from 1K), and less used.

For new I would consider either the Wyred4Sound DAC1 http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/396494  I have the DAC2, but its a bit above your price range for some part upgrades, and a few more inputs.

or the Havana or Stockholm DACs, which are currently on the used market, a second version of the Stockholm is due sometime.  The Havana has been modded and commented on extensively.

A lot of choice out there for DACs, and prices have been driven down a lot on the low to mid range stuff.  The upper ranges of DACs >$2000 tend to have very small differences(improvements?) for a lot of additional monies.  My main DAC was an expensive kit, but has a NOS DAC digital board, and tube/transformer output circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back