DAC for a stereo peakers with 6-channel optical source
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Silence89

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I newly got a Microlab Solo 7c stereo speaker. As for the DAC, i got an FX-Audio DAC X6 on the way.
Currently I have an Astro A50 (Gen1) with its MixAmp connected to an Asus Xonar U3 via TosLink. The configuration here using 6-channel for surround sound:

Astro-A50-with-Asus-Xonar-U3.png

This is the MixAmp:

iu

Now for choosing a source for the new DAC that will feed the stereo speakers: what should it be?
  1. TosLink from the onboard sound? (Realtek ALC1150 codec)
  2. TosLink from the optical output port on the MixAmp? (mind it is a 6-channel signal from the Xonar U3)
  3. USB form my PC? (I believe there will be noise)
  4. or something else i missed

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 14
Now for choosing a source for the new DAC that will feed the stereo speakers: what should it be?
  1. TosLink from the onboard sound? (Realtek ALC1150 codec)

If you don't need the U3 to run its DSP - like virtual surround when you have headphones plugged into the X6 - then just use the motherboard.

2. TosLink from the optical output port on the MixAmp? (mind it is a 6-channel signal from the Xonar U3)

Why are you using two DSPs? That's like using a Xeon dual CPU motherboard for gaming, except in series instead of parallel, but either way it's unnecessary.

3. USB form my PC? (I believe there will be noise)

To what? Unless there's an updated version, the only way to use USB direct to the powered speaker is to get a speaker that actually has a USB input, like some Edifiers, Swans, Audioengines, etc.
71NwN82YZDL._SL1000_.jpg

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 14
If you don't need the U3 to run its DSP - like virtual surround when you have headphones plugged into the X6 - then just use the motherboard.

Why are you using two DSPs? That's like using a Xeon dual CPU motherboard for gaming, except in series instead of parallel, but either way it's unnecessary.

To what? Unless there's an updated version, the only way to use USB direct to the powered speaker is to get a speaker that actually has a USB input, like some Edifiers, Swans, Audioengines, etc.

Hi ProtegeManiac,

My Headphones are not analog, it is Astro A50 paired to its MixAmp wirelessly. This MixAmp is connected to the U3 via TosLink.
I got the new DAC (FX-Audio X6) because I couldn't connect my new Microlab Solo 7C stereo speakers to neither the U3 nor the MixAmp (unless this connection is possible but i missed it). And I do not want to use the onboard audio analog port since it is noisy.

So the old configuration will stay the same: U3 - MixAmp - A50
and the second audio will be: [Some Source] - FX X6 - Solo 7C

And so I was wondering what that [source] should be.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 14
PC, USB > FX-Audio X6 > RCA > Solo 7c
PC, USB > Xonar U3 > optical > mix-amp.
To switch between headphones and speakers, you will need to keep changing the audio setting in Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 14
PC, USB > FX-Audio X6 > RCA > Solo 7c
PC, USB > Xonar U3 > optical > mix-amp.
To switch between headphones and speakers, you will need to keep changing the audio setting in Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab.

This was mainly what i was going to do. However, what will happen if, instead of connecting the X6 to PC's USB, i connect it to the optical output of the MixAmp? How will the X6 covert the 6-channel to a stereo RCA output for the Solo 7C speakers? And whether or not there will be a benefit in doing so.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 14
This was mainly what i was going to do. However, what will happen if, instead of connecting the X6 to PC's USB, i connect it to the optical output of the MixAmp? How will the X6 covert the 6-channel to a stereo RCA output for the Solo 7C speakers? And whether or not there will be a benefit in doing so.
Does the mix-amp output 6-channel or 2-channel thru it's optical out port?
The X6 comes with zero conversion functions.
The X6 only takes in a 2-channel (stereo) audio signal and only outputs a 2-channel (stereo) audio signal.

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 14
My Headphones are not analog, it is Astro A50 paired to its MixAmp wirelessly. This MixAmp is connected to the U3 via TosLink.

I'm even more confused with "GAMING PRO MAXIMUM P4W4GE SUPREMACY DEATH TO ALL NOOBZ" companies' marketing now. Why is it called a MixAmp if it's not amplifying the headphones? The amp on a wireless headphone is on the circuit built into the headphone itself.

And in any case, doesn't the MixAmp have its own DSP chip?

I got the new DAC (FX-Audio X6) because I couldn't connect my new Microlab Solo 7C stereo speakers to neither the U3 nor the MixAmp (unless this connection is possible but i missed it). And I do not want to use the onboard audio analog port since it is noisy.

So the old configuration will stay the same: U3 - MixAmp - A50
and the second audio will be: [Some Source] - FX X6 - Solo 7C

And so I was wondering what that [source] should be.

The computer is the source. If you want to use all that together and if the motherboard has optical out and a surround DSP, skip the U3, hook up the motherboard to the Mix Amp via optical or USB, then hook up the MixAmp's optical out to the X6.

If the motherboard doesn't have DSP and optical output, but the Mix"Amp" does, then it's USB to motherboard then optical out to X6.

Or just keep the U3 and MixAmp as they are and hook up the X6 to the optical output on the MixAmp.

One other alternative: hook up the X6 via optical on your motherboard and then just manually switch whichever chain you want to use on Windows Properties.

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 14

I am trying to find out.
I know that the Xonar U3 is generally better than the onboard Analog sound, and since I already have the U3 i thought why not use it?
However, what about the onboard Optical out? is it affected by the limitations of the onboard Realtek ALC1150? (like the freq range of 40-15K Hz or any noise in the motherboard)

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 14
I'm even more confused with "GAMING PRO MAXIMUM P4W4GE SUPREMACY DEATH TO ALL NOOBZ" companies' marketing now. Why is it called a MixAmp if it's not amplifying the headphones? The amp on a wireless headphone is on the circuit built into the headphone itself.

And in any case, doesn't the MixAmp have its own DSP chip?

Yes I agree, the name is funny to say the least. I think of the MixAmp as merely the transiever for the wireless headphones.
Not sure about the DSP though.

The computer is the source. If you want to use all that together and if the motherboard has optical out and a surround DSP, skip the U3, hook up the motherboard to the Mix Amp via optical or USB, then hook up the MixAmp's optical out to the X6.

If the motherboard doesn't have DSP and optical output, but the Mix"Amp" does, then it's USB to motherboard then optical out to X6.

The motherboard does have an optical out port, however it doesn't have Dolby Digital Live, thants why I wanted to keep the current U3-MixAmp-A50 config for the headphone.

Or just keep the U3 and MixAmp as they are and hook up the X6 to the optical output on the MixAmp.

Am trying to find out what kind of signal would i get off that optical out port, whether it is a signal pass through or it has been processed somehow.

One other alternative: hook up the X6 via optical on your motherboard and then just manually switch whichever chain you want to use on Windows Properties.

I have no problem with that, Am just wondering which optical signal is better, the U3's or the motherboard's. forgive my audiophile noobism :)

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 14
I am trying to find out.
I know that the Xonar U3 is generally better than the onboard Analog sound, and since I already have the U3 i thought why not use it?
However, what about the onboard Optical out? is it affected by the limitations of the onboard Realtek ALC1150? (like the freq range of 40-15K Hz or any noise in the motherboard)
Digital output, USB, optical, coaxial, usually bypasses noise issues.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #11 of 14
Yes I agree, the name is funny to say the least. I think of the MixAmp as merely the transiever for the wireless headphones.
Not sure about the DSP though.

If it uses some kind of software suite then it has DSP, even it only runs via software by the CPU and no actual DSP chip (it just needs to detect some other chip on the MixAmp to run on the computer, that way people can't just download it). As for DSP features, if it does have that software, check what it has.

The motherboard does have an optical out port, however it doesn't have Dolby Digital Live, thants why I wanted to keep the current U3-MixAmp-A50 config for the headphone.

Then you'll really have to use something that does handle DD Live.

Am trying to find out what kind of signal would i get off that optical out port, whether it is a signal pass through or it has been processed somehow.

That depends on whether you enabled any DSP features.

I have no problem with that, Am just wondering which optical signal is better, the U3's or the motherboard's

Outside of surround format compatibility, there isn't going to be any difference. The thing with surround particularly movies (and less with games) is these compatibility issues with whatever the movie disc or download copy comes with.

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #12 of 14

I asked at their forums and it turns out the optical-out is identical to the optical-in signal, so it will be a 6-channel signal.
I wounder how would the FX-Audio X6 DAC handle such signal. I guess this leaves me with connecting the X6 directly to the PC via optical TosLink.

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #13 of 14
If it uses some kind of software suite then it has DSP, even it only runs via software by the CPU and no actual DSP chip (it just needs to detect some other chip on the MixAmp to run on the computer, that way people can't just download it). As for DSP features, if it does have that software, check what it has.

I believe there isn't such thing. though it exist for later versions of the MixAmp. I control the audio features from the Xonar U3 through its own software.

Outside of surround format compatibility, there isn't going to be any difference. The thing with surround particularly movies (and less with games) is these compatibility issues with whatever the movie disc or download copy comes with.

Yes true. for movies I will stick with stereo.

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 14
I believe there isn't such thing. though it exist for later versions of the MixAmp. I control the audio features from the Xonar U3 through its own software.

Well it's entirely possible to not install the Astro software or it can't be disabled.

Yes true. for movies I will stick with stereo.

I have my movies set to 5.1 output and my U3 handles the virtual surround mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back