DAC and AMP
May 1, 2009 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

numbskull

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. While searching for a open can to buy, i've come to decision that i need to improve my music source. The onboard soundcard that i have makes no justice to expensive gear. So i want some external DAC, but i need something cheap for now. What i really wanted is some DAC with line out, and then put some AMP on it, but i can't find such a thing. Other option is to get some AMP/DAC, but in this case, how it will sound?

May 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 17
I got the Headroom Total Bithead, which is as basic as it can get as far as DAC/Amp goes. It's surprisingly good for something cheap as it is, but I obviously wouldn't expect a world out of it. But both the amp and the DAC components work well. It'll be good as a starter combo, but perhaps with more research you will find something that is better suited to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 17
I would recommend the EMU 0404 USB. It has an excellent DAC, and a so-so headphone amp built in. It also has every I/O you could ever want, including balanced output (via dual TRS).

Hotaudio40's USB DACs are also excellent and cheaper, but you will most likely need to upgrade in future to something with coax and optical inputs.

May 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by joewatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend the EMU 0404 USB. It has an excellent DAC, and a so-so headphone amp built in. It also has every I/O you could ever want, including balanced output (via dual TRS).

Hotaudio40's USB DACs are also excellent and cheaper, but you will most likely need to upgrade in future to something with coax and optical inputs.

a newbie doubt: connecting the headphone to the headphone out of the hotaudio DAC/AMP is the same thing as connecting a dedicated AMP line in to a dedicated DAC line out, and then connecting the headphone to the AMP headphone out? (technically speaking, not sound wise).

also, anyone know about the XM5 DAC? It is good?

May 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 17
ibasso D10 for dac/amp or gamma1 dac and in answer to you^^ question. no it is not the same thing. unless your dac/amp has a line out or aux out you will be double amping

May 2, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ibasso D10 for dac/amp or gamma1 dac and in answer to you^^ question. no it is not the same thing. unless your dac/amp has a line out or aux out you will be double amping

i don't know if i made myself clear

with two separate things, it should be like this: line out -> amp -> headphone, right?

with DAC/AMP, the process is DAC/AMP -> headphone

then, what i am asking is if the DAC connects to the AMP internally, then the sound that comes out of the [headphone out] of the DAC/AMP will be the same thing of line out -> amp -> headphone. I mean, the amplification is made internally?

i am moving to this world now, so i am still learning
dt880smile.png

May 2, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 17
yes they do, sorry that was me misunderstanding something that was actually quite clear.. ive got bird-flu you know..
jk. but I have got a nasty flu.. thats my lame excuse anyway
biggrin.gif
. wiuth a dac/amp the dac outputs are directly connected to the amp inputs

May 2, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #11 of 17
I own a Predator and am not too happy with the internal DAC as the amp sounds better with line in than with the DAC.
So I also decided to go for a separate DAC and amp.

After reading some very positive feedbacks I am now having a Devilsound on order.
Beside beeing very small it uses non oversampling what is told to be better than oversampling and usually reserved to much more expensive units.

I hope to have it in my hands next week then I can give you a feedback.

Jochen

May 3, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 17
So, the internal amp is the same in DAC/AMP and AMP standalone mode? I mean, if i use DAC/AMP mode, or just AMP mode, they will have the same amplification, and then the differences in sound would be only due to DAC (thus suggesting that i would need a separate, better DAC)?

May 3, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jochen.schell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beside beeing very small it uses non oversampling what is told to be better than oversampling and usually reserved to much more expensive units.

You may wish to read up on what oversampling is. It has nothing to do with a unit being cheap or expensive. Considering its size, it was probably simpler and cheaper to make a small NOS DAC.

May 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the internal amp is the same in DAC/AMP and AMP standalone mode? I mean, if i use DAC/AMP mode, or just AMP mode, they will have the same amplification, and then the differences in sound would be only due to DAC (thus suggesting that i would need a separate, better DAC)?

what?? youve lost me again; are you talking about gear you already have or theoretical gear that you might buy in the future??

suggesting that you would need a better separate dac than what?? the dac in your soundcard?? you will not be able to use the amp in your soundcard with an external dac.

all in all, you will need to get both external dac and amp; now whether they exist in the same unit is up to you. there are several good options that are this way, but there are also some dac/amps that are weak in one area or the other. the D10 is very good (for portable) in both departments and they match each other very well. and then you can also buy separate portable dacs that can be used with the amp of your choice. such as the gamma1.

of course the amp in dac/amp is the same as just the amp when using as amp only; they wouldnt install 2 amps when one would do.

May 4, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of course the amp in dac/amp is the same as just the amp when using as amp only; they wouldnt install 2 amps when one would do.

that partially answers my question
tongue_smile.gif

I don't have the gear, and for what i've seen of DAC/AMPs, the sound may differ when used in DAC/AMP and AMP mode only (soundinb better when used as an amp only). So, that's my doubt, if the sound differences are because of the DAC then, and not the AMP (i ask this because i plan to get an AMP/DAC unit for now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back