DAC and amp for Sennheiser HD439?
Jul 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

UnDeadKnight1

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 439s, but I somehow find them a bit lacking in bass and midrange when using them from my laptop and iPhone. Now I'm new to decent audio equipment, so I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. I've got a friend who's an audiophile, who recommended me I get the Fiio E07K or Creative Soundblaster Recon3D and Fiio E09K combo, which he said would bring my headphones to life. I've got a budget of about $300 now (after spending $120 (their price in Israel) on the HD439s). From what I understood from him, this setup would allow me to keep this setup for future headphone upgrades.

Most of the time, as in 90% of the time, I'll be using this at home, and I listen to classical, jazz, blues, rock and metal. I tend to prefer a slightly darker sound.

I'm pretty new to all of this, so bare with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 13
For your budget.
It might be better to return the HD439 and spend more for better headphones.
The Fiio E07K can be used with the iPhone and the Laptop.

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Any recommendations for a decent setup?

As the E07K will work with both the iPhone 4(?) and any laptop or PC or Mac.
Not sure how much the E07K would cost you?
So I'm not sure how much of your budget is leftover for headphones?
Maybe upgrade at least to the Senn HD518?
(I do like the sound of my HD558s)

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
As the E07K will work with both the iPhone 4(?) and any laptop or PC or Mac.
Not sure how much the E07K would cost you?
So I'm not sure how much of your budget is leftover for headphones?
Maybe upgrade at least to the Senn HD518?
(I do like the sound of my HD558s)

I'm getting the E07K from eBay, so with shipping it's $110. The Senn HD 558 is about $280 here, the HD518 are about $160 here. Between the two, which would you recommend? That would leave me about $140 in my budget (if I get the HD558)...worth spending on the E09K amp? or I better off saving my money for something better?

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

I'm getting the E07K from eBay, so with shipping it's $110. The Senn HD 558 is about $280 here, the HD518 are about $160 here. Between the two, which would you recommend? That would leave me about $140 in my budget (if I get the HD558)...worth spending on the E09K amp? or I better off saving my money for something better?

As the E09K is not portable, you can't really use it on the move with your iPhone?
Beside, the E09K does not come with a DAC and the E07K does.
(laptops usually come with very low cost DAC chips, so the E07K DAC should be an improvement)

If your more into bass, better to stick to the HD518.
(Here in the USA I can buy a used HD558 for $110, so $280 just seems way to much to pay).

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 13
Ok, thanks.

What about combining the E07K with the E09K? any noticeable improvement?

Heh, yeah, everything seems to be a lot more expensive in Israel :/ Funny thing is, HD 558 is roughly the same price as HD 598 here :/

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
What about combining the E07K with the E09K? any noticeable improvement?
Heh, yeah, everything seems to be a lot more expensive in Israel :/ Funny thing is, HD 558 is roughly the same price as HD 598 here :/

When you plug (dock) the E07K into the E09K, it allows the E09K to use the E07K's DAC chip.
The E07K's headphone amp is bypassed in this setup (docking).

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
When you plug (dock) the E07K into the E09K, it allows the E09K to use the E07K's DAC chip.
The E07K's headphone amp is bypassed in this setup (docking).

Yeah, but is there a noticeable improvement between the E09K amp and the E07K amp? As in, if I were to dock the E07K into the E09K, would I get a noticeably better sound quality than with the E07K alone? or I'm better off with spending the money on a better set of headphones?

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Yeah, but is there a noticeable improvement between the E09K amp and the E07K amp? As in, if I were to dock the E07K into the E09K, would I get a noticeably better sound quality than with the E07K alone? or I'm better off with spending the money on a better set of headphones?

I think your better off putting most of your cash (Shekels) towards headphones.

The Sennheiser HD 4XX and 5XX series are only 50-Ohms, a $20 Fiio E6 can drive them decently.
So chances are going from a E07K to E09K is not going to really make a difference.

If you have access to eBay and Paypal, you might be able to get a better value in a headphone purchase.

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 13
Ok, thanks, much appreciated, you've just saved me quite a lot of cash.
Since I'm new at this, I think I'll just order the E07K and see how it works with my HD 439, and if I'm not satisfied then, I'll look into getting a better set of cans.

Thanks for clarifying things up.

By the way, isn't there a high risk of the headphones being fake through eBay?

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Ok, thanks, much appreciated, you've just saved me quite a lot of cash.
Since I'm new at this, I think I'll just order the E07K and see how it works with my HD 439, and if I'm not satisfied then, I'll look into getting a better set of cans.
Thanks for clarifying things up.
By the way, isn't there a high risk of the headphones being fake through eBay?

Usually it seems buying "Name brand" headphones, shipped from China (& Hong Kong), is where the fakes are from.
There are some great values on "non-name" brand headphones made and shipped from China.
Superlux, Takstar &  SoundMagic are based out of China/Taiwan/Hong Kong seem to offer some good quality sound for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back