DAC/AMP Vs Motherboard ???
Aug 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #31 of 34
The reason I ask about the case is I want to replace my 700d with a 750d, I don't need the full case room but it's so much easier to build in. Itx I want to do in the 250d, it'll be a nice challenge making an itx look nice and building a small form factor.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #32 of 34
Tis indeed, I don't like it but I've poured so much money into the PC it was a kind of compromise. The only thing on this build that from the original build I started back in November is the RAM.

One should see their primary desktop machine as a science experiment that continually mutates. I never do a completely new build, but upgrades segments of my machine in stages, typically something every year to 18 months. My computer can trace its ancestry back to a Pentium MMX setup in 1997 :D

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #33 of 34
Watercooling is an absolute must, I would never go back to air. I have my 4770k clocked at 4.7Ghz and my 780 Classified has been taken from the 780's baseclock of 863Mhz to 1371Mhz, I run my fans at 50-60% speed, ~750rpm and I don't see much over 70°C on the CPU and 45°C on the GPU with an ambient temperature of 26°C.

The most CPU intensive thing I do is photo editing and it stays cool and quiet even in the ambient temperatures we've been having in the UK lately.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #34 of 34
I'm guessing at those rpms the computer is nearly silent. and to think not too long ago gpu temps of 85 were the norm and ati/nvidia didn't blink an eye compared to today where they get thermal throttled at 80. 

For me at this point in time putting water on the gpu is overkill for me. And the proprietory coolers put on by evga/saphire/etc all work pretty well. Especially bc I'm not pushing the clocks on my gpu past anything spectacular. I'm not an fps for the sake of getting higher fps type of guy. My monitor does 60hz and even though on my home tv I see the smoothness and benefit from higher hz (240hz for hockey is awesome) if I push 60+ fps with all the eye candy options on (motion blip and field of depth always off bc they just make things blur) then I will be happy.
With this new build the objective will be to play with everything on at 1440p with 60fps+ on Witcher 3 and the up comming doom 4. Both games will be, by all indication, awe inspiring visually and hardware demanding. Doom 4 is said to be only really for hardware that has yet to be released. I'd games and I'd tech engines get me excited, though this is the first engine released without John Carmack (king of all the nerds and coding ingenious) so it. Will be interesting to see if it retains the tight feel, fast paced action, and extremely simple and efficient coding they are known for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back