DAC/AMP Vs Motherboard ???
Aug 7, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 34
Now at days an aftermarket gpu cooler is almost a must, air or liquid. cpus get much hotter these days even when not pushed hard that in a warm room they may throttle. My amd phenom 2 965 is running stock speeds with a stock cooler and in a relatively cool basement room it is the loudest thing in my case when gamin, and is suprisingly audible. The case is also well ventilated and I reversed the back fan so it blows cool air directly onto the cpu but they run hot.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #17 of 34
 I advise that you DO get the K version. For $25 more (less if you grab it with a rebate) you get much higher clock speeds and the thermals are better. Both are pluses if you over clock or not. If you already have a non K processor then its not worth the upgrade. Buying new go K.

Has that been proven that the thermals are better? I don't think I've heard that before.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #18 of 34
Has that been proven that the thermals are better? I don't think I've heard that before.

It's not true at all. The thermal paste on Haswell chips was very ropey to start with, leading some of us overclockers to delid, like I did. But the newer 4790 'Devils Canyon' had that problem sorted.

K chip or not, they'll be identical thermally speaking. You don't get 'much higher clock speeds' with a K chip either, assuming you're not intending to overclock. Turbo boost is 50Mhz more on a K chip, which is nothing.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #19 of 34

It's not true at all. The thermal paste on Haswell chips was very ropey to start with, leading some of us overclockers to delid, like I did. But the newer 4790 'Devils Canyon' had that problem sorted.

K chip or not, they'll be identical thermally speaking. You don't get 'much higher clock speeds' with a K chip either, assuming you're not intending to overclock. Turbo boost is 50Mhz more on a K chip, which is nothing.

Thanks for clarifying.

I always go listen to what the serious overclockers have to say about CPU performance when I want to know:)

I'd advise the OP to do the same. Lots of amateur overclockers out there claiming things about CPUs. Go research on overclocker forums if you are looking for truth.

Now at days an aftermarket gpu cooler is almost a must, air or liquid. cpus get much hotter these days even when not pushed hard that in a warm room they may throttle. My amd phenom 2 965 is running stock speeds with a stock cooler and in a relatively cool basement room it is the loudest thing in my case when gamin, and is suprisingly audible. The case is also well ventilated and I reversed the back fan so it blows cool air directly onto the cpu but they run hot.

AMD and Intel are two different experiences when it comes to power consumption and thermal output. And you are offering a 10 year old AMD CPU as an example.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #20 of 34

If you don't have enough fans set to extract air out of the case what can happen is a lot of heated air can get trapped in the case. That said though I'm contemplating my next build to use the rear exhaust fan as an intake on a Prodigy mATX. I'll flip the dumb thing so the PSU lets hot air rise out of its naturally; cold air goes in from the bottom (former top) and blows directly on the graphics card with a Prolimatech Mk26 (will experiment with just high pressure fans on the VGA cooler, no fans on the chassis itself); rear exhaust pushing fresh air into a Kraken cooler for the CPU; 200mm Spectre Pro fan pulling all the hot air from the Kraken and GPU out the top (bottom). This way the single fan AIO won't pull hot air from the VGA cooler, but there should still be enough air flowing through the RAM and mobo chip.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 34
Thanks for clarifying.

I always go listen to what the serious overclockers have to say about CPU performance when I want to know:)

I'd advise the OP to do the same. Lots of amateur overclockers out there claiming things about CPUs. Go research on overclocker forums if you are looking for truth.

AMD and Intel are two different experiences when it comes to power consumption and thermal output. And you are offering a 10 year old AMD CPU as an example.

a good write up of what the devils canyon "K" chips are http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k

The goal was to have a much better thermal paste and more regulated power (those are the extra capacitors) this is to provide better heat transfer for overclocking and to make a mor consistent product so you don't get one chip that OCs to 4.7 and another one that only touches 4.2 . This isn't an end all as the original product started to get real bad but it's a step up. That and going from 3.5ghz to 4.0 Ghz for $25 without and other overclocking or bios work is worth it IMHO. I'm planning an HTPC build in the future and it will get only a 4690-k chip which has much less of a clock boost than it's big 4790-k brother, but the small $ going towards the better materials is worth it for me.

My processor is only 5 years old and is not 10 years old. I've only had it for about 3 years as well which doesn't mean much but the principal remains. Stock coolers were plenty years ago but now spending $30 on a better air cooler seems like a necessity. A little more can be spent on an AIO liquid kit that adds nice looks and the advantages of liquid cooling that come with it.

I'm also going to be building a new gaming rig this fall based on Intel x99 haswell-e which from reports say the covers are soldered on again which is great. I'm also switching ditching my precious thought of air cooling only and going with a swiftech h220x kit to supplement.

@protege: I have enough exhaust fans 2 on top with the intakes being on the bottom and the back panel. It is important to note you can't just keep shoving air in you need it to flow out. Unless you're doing a wind tunnel design then you need some exhaust.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #22 of 34
You are right. Amazon says that they had them starting in 2004. But they are wrong.

However, does not negate that Intel and AMD are two different experiences. I run the 4790 with AS5 and stock cooling. Temperatures are perfectly acceptable. Whether or not someone needs an after market cooler really depends more on how their case is setup with cooling and the other components. There's no penalty for trying the stock cooler and see if it works.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #23 of 34
you are correct there is no penalty to try out stock, worst thing is you need to wipe down the thermal paste if you decide to upgrade.

My pc is quiet for general work, video streaming, and interneting. It gets loud after a while playing more intensive games such as tomb raider, wolfenstein, dirty bomb, dota 2 etc. I thought this was my 6970 card aging and card bend causing some issues so I upgraded to a r9 280 but it was the same volume as it was really the flu heating up which I confirmed later after I did more investigating. It doesn't get noisey with lesser demanding games like cs:go, hotline Miami etc. In the end the upgrade in gpu was still worth it because it is a better card that uses less power and has better thermals and is more powerful and will eventual support mantle as well as it being able to push my 1440p monitor without an issue. This also makes it great to be transfered into my htpc. I'm having dreams of how well it will push dirt 3 on my 240hz tv. I know it won't do 240fps but it'll be around 150 or so which will be great for that games fast paced everything.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #25 of 34
@protege: I have enough exhaust fans 2 on top with the intakes being on the bottom and the back panel. It is important to note you can't just keep shoving air in you need it to flow out. Unless you're doing a wind tunnel design then you need some exhaust.

Basically what I'm planning to do as well - exhause as intake, top fans pull hot air out 
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #26 of 34
Thanks for clarifying.

I spent quite a bit of time and money on my little beastie. 
darthsmile.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #27 of 34
Great looking pc. My dream is to one day so some liquid cooling with rigid tubes as I love the look. It seems like it would make upgrades a PIA if everything doesn't line bakc.up perfect but I guess that's the thrill of it. Right now money and time is a constraint and the money for the parts are better spent on better components in my situation.

I am stepping into some liquid cooling as my next pc will have a swiftech h220x kit . I was planning to do a black and classier gold look with the liquid in the loop being a golden yellow but so far research has shown that gold colored liquid is extremely hard to get right. Either you get one of the for show coolants that last a couple of days bc they are flakey. Or you try to get a gold colored liquid which usually ends up being pee colored.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #29 of 34
  Is that a 750d case btw?

Tis indeed, I don't like it but I've poured so much money into the PC it was a kind of compromise. The only thing on this build that from the original build I started back in November is the RAM. I've gone though 2 CPUs (blew one up), 2 Motherboards, 2 GPUs, 2 cases, 2 PSU's (hate the one I have, it's going ASAP), two all in one watercooling solutions - then settled on a full custom build, two fan controllers and the list goes on and on. I think up to this moment, my current build price stands at about £3900, not including all the other duplicates I bought, and sold. 

I'd have liked a 900D, but I finally thought better of throwing my money away, shame I didn't get there a bit sooner! 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #30 of 34
Yeah its a pricey hobby and the second you are up to date, you are out of date. I try to build with the most up to date  components I can, this way I can get a while out of things before upgrading.

My current pc is in a 700d case , I built it when my old pcmobo blew. I spent about $1000 on it at first but that was with a lower end cpu and ram just due to the money constraints and ddr3 was expensive then . I put at least another $1000 into it over the years to keep it up to date. $2k for 5 years is good and it's the one thing I spend the most time with. I could put another high end gpu into it and call it a day but I'm making a little more money now than I did in my teens, as well as there being enough new to warrant a full upgrade. I am setting a $3500 limit on the main pc( this includes a much needed upgrade to perephirals and monitor, everything will be black brushed aluminum looking, already bought a AOC q2770pqu monitor to upgrade from a 4:3 Dell 2001 ultrasharp) and if funds are there I will be converting my current pc into a z97 m-itx casual controller gaming/htpc. Worse comes to worse I just take my current pc and put it into the tv but it is a hulk.

All said and done I'll be looking to put down $4.5 k on both pc's (new egg wishlist and notes are great for notifying you of deals and noting the lowest price conpenents are) new egg and the post office (for those mail in rebates) will love me at the end of this. I wheel and deal in everything  (even the tv I'm looking at now I battled at best buy and got it for 50% off their asking) and Google shopping is my friend. the only thing j really want but will be 100% priced out of my range is a Pci-e ssd as they're insanely fast but are about a grand each right now. And still there are those out there that would laugh at how little I put in as their builds can easily double mine cost wise.

I guess I just have an itch, liquid cooling must be the electrostatic setups of the pc world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back