DAC-AMP Upgrade recommendation
Aug 27, 2023 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheQm

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

First post here.

My current gear is:

Focusrite Clarett 2pre USB to Fiio k5 (non pro, only amp)

AKG 712 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm LTD
Sonarworks Reference 4 (Average profiles)

I'm planning to buy Sennheiser HD600 soon, so the first question is should I upgrade DAC/AMP first, and what do you recommend for HD600?
What do you think about Fiio K7?

And one more question, if I get Fiio K7 or similar, should I hook it up to interface like I did with K5 (Clarett Line out 3-4 to Fiio RCA Line in)?

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 9
Sennheisers need a lot of amp to sound their best. There aren't many all-in-ones that do well enough and the ones that do cost a lot of money. There aren't really any portable devices that can do a good job except perhaps some of the ifi units.

For the 300 ohm Sennheisers it would be better to consider desktop gear. USB audio interfaces are not hifi devices and really won't help here either.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi gimmeheadroom,
Thanks for replying!

If you think this combo is not good enough, what do you recommend for HD600?

This Fiio K7 is Desktop DAC-AMP, I know it's not expensive but I read a lot of good thing about it, so I wanted to ask you guys what do you think about it.

• Adopts the six-stage audio circuit as in FiiO’s high-end devices, and features 2 AMK’s latest AK4493SEQ DACs and dual THX AAA 788+ amps;
  • Supports multiple outputs- 4.4mm balanced out, 6.35/3.5mm single-ended out, as well as multiple inputs- USB, optical, coaxial and AUX in;
  • Comes with versatile functions as well as robust output power- 1% THD+N under BAL output, 2000mW stable output power, which can drive most headphones, including full-size headphones

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 9
FiiO is basically junk. Not that you wouldn't enjoy a pair of HD 600s out of it, but when you find out how they should sound you will realize you wasted your money.

The best thing for a 300 ohm pair of Sennheisers or 250 ohm Beyers is an OTL tube amp.

Some good solid state amps that can drive these headphones include models from Violectric, Audio-gd. There are other good ones, but I stopped looking.

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Sep 1, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 9
We have a Topping DX3Pro+ with the Hd6xx and it's loud enough in low gain and those have no clipping at 300 or 600 ohm headphones. It'll power almost anything and small form factor.

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 9
I have tried both the K9 PRO ESS and the smaller and less expensive K7BT and both are absolutely wonderful in their respective price categories.

If you want a desktop, the K7 (or the K7BT for $50 more) will give you lots of love.

The K7BT easily drove a pair of Senn HD 800S, which are more difficult to drive than the HD600s. I own both.

Instead of the HD600s, I recommend the HD 58X Jubliee. They are easier to drive, have a bit more lower end and sound terrific.

The K7 series is very highly rated by reviewers and consumers alike. Check them out along with the 58x Jubilees.

Of course you can spend more. But you don't need to. Don't let others shame you into spending more than you are comfortable doing.

Good luck and enjoy this hobby!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back