DAC/Amp upgrade for HD650 and Elex?
Nov 17, 2021 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

5370H55V

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I've been using a Massdrop CTH+SDAC combo with my HD650's for a few years. Just picked up the Elex and wanted to see what options are out now that could be considered an upgrade to it for under $600.
Really leaning towards a combined DAC/amp unit instead of separate components, and solid state over tubes or hybrid amps. High output power would be a nice to have, since I'll probably try pairing planar headphones with it at some point.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 4
I don't see the need for an upgrade, since your headphones can be adequately powered by your amp to reach required SPL. Also most planars can be adequately powered as long as the amp can output upto 2V into the planars. This is something even the tiny Qudelix-5K can do.
But if your really itching for an upgrade, then the celebrated Project Polaris and also the Project Ember can adequately amp even the hard to drive HiFiman HE6 OG to blistering loud volumes. They have even favorably compared to the Schiit Lyr some years ago.. and both amps from Garage1217 more or less are on the same level. You can find the amp here:
Project Polaris
The reason they are such a bang for your buck, is that the designers of the amplifier concentrated in designing a truly wonderful sounding amp and spent less on the chassis, which is made of acrylic.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-from-garage1217-the-solid-state-project-polaris.725896/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back