DAC/Amp in $300-$400 Range (LCX+SDAC?)
Dec 20, 2019 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BrianN

New Head-Fier
I'm considering the Massdrop Liquid Carbon X + SDAC DAC/Amp right now after getting both the Aeon Flow Closed (AFC) and Focal Elegia to compare side-by-side. The LCX+SDAC seems to get good reviews and this about tops my budget.

Should I go ahead an blindly get them? I don't really want to mess with comparing DAC/amps while comparing the AFCs/Elegias. My original plan was to tough it out without a DAC/amp so I could really invest decent money into that later. But I feel like I'm not getting a true taste of what either headphone sounds like plugged in to my desktop computer directly. Plus, I listen to a decent amount of rap/hip-hop and have been reading that a DAC/amp is necessary for that type of power, especially with the Elegias where I'm not sensing much on the lows. Plus, I'm up to 80% volume on the AFCs, so my PC is struggling there.

Current: I'm upgrading from HD 598 SEs plugged into my computer, after needing to switch to closed headphones for working at home. Neither sound that much better than my 598s, but that can't be true. It has to be the lack of an audio setup.

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Update: Someone on another forum said this:

Spend <$100 on a basic DAC to start. Absolutely do not go overboard when you start. Run it into one of the many amps in the $100 to $500 bracket. For all-around use, you probably won’t go wrong with a recent solid state amp. Many post-2018 products test extremely well (including the 789).

I personally avoid combo products like the LCX+SDAC, as they are forever stuck together and each portion cannot be independently upgraded.
Thoughts? I'm a newb to all of this so not sure of what to make of my options.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 14
Hmmmm, I don't know if you're willing to buy used but you could probably post a WTB for a Soekris 1321 or get a 1101 new. In the years I've been researching this stuff, I've noticed there's very little actually worth getting for the price, which in a way is good if you know what brands to go for. I agree with that guy, most combo products don't really work because you're compromising on the amp side or the DAC side, but Soekris makes great stuff. Schiit is really popular but they have to cut a ton of corners to keep their prices down. They've managed to create stuff that sounds good, great even for the price, so they're another option. SMSL is a popular brand as well, although I haven't tried them and I'm always skeptical of Chinese manufacturers.

Drop or Monoprice are two brands that exist within the same vein of 'super cheap but sound good' products that I've always been highly skeptical about but when I've tried them, their stuff.... just works. It could work for you as well.

Again though, go for Soekris if you can (a bit over your price range but they've got special pricing rn), and I'd go Schiit as an alternative.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 14

Spend <$100 on a basic DAC to start. Absolutely do not go overboard when you start. Run it into one of the many amps in the $100 to $500 bracket. For all-around use, you probably won’t go wrong with a recent solid state amp. Many post-2018 products test extremely well (including the 789).

I personally avoid combo products like the LCX+SDAC, as they are forever stuck together and each portion cannot be independently upgraded.

I don't have any suitable recommendations (maybe try threadsearching dac/amps of interest on the relevant headphone impresisons threads etc...) but I'd agree you can probably find something to fit your needs for not too much money. IDK how accurate the remark about combo dac/amp units is- some have analog inputs so you can just use the amp, and analog line outputs so you can use just the DAC- just need to look for those features. There are also modular options- for instance a few of Schiit's models have a DAC card slot, so you can buy just the amp then add an internal DAC later on, from what I understand.

If you're feeling reluctant about combo units but want to keep costs down, can probably get away with computer's analog out to an amp too (especially if PC has line out, but amping a headphone out, while it does increase distortion, can be ok sounding).

RE upgrading the 598s, might just be you found your signature with those, or just need to give a few days to adjust to the new ones. In terms of bass, you may have made unfortuante choices in new headphones- looking at measurements Elegia don't appear to have much more bass than the flat-ish AFC. I'm assuming the need for power you refer to in rap/hiphop is that you want to EQ a bass boost into these neutral headphones? That generally does increase power demand... you might try it out with your computer audio and see if you can get the bass to an acceptable level, but need to be cautious because with enough power available too much can damage the drivers (even with onboard audio).

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 14
I have the JDS Labs Atom and the Topping D50S. They both measure extremely accurate, and I think they work great with my Focal Elear headphones.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 14
A <$100 DAC/amp is going to be, IMO, a waste of money. The quality of inexpensive audio gear has come down vastly over the last decade, but there is still point where products are just too cheap to be of value, let alone any improvement over a decent computer sound card.

The original Liquid Carbon was a favourite amp of mine. It simply made listening fun. Sometime I'll have to see if I can't get around to reviewing that combo.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 14
A <$100 DAC/amp is going to be, IMO, a waste of money. The quality of inexpensive audio gear has come down vastly over the last decade, but there is still point where products are just too cheap to be of value, let alone any improvement over a decent computer sound card.

The original Liquid Carbon was a favourite amp of mine. It simply made listening fun. Sometime I'll have to see if I can't get around to reviewing that combo.

Was considering the Topping D10 ($65) to go with the 789 ($400), which gets pricey and the future upgrade will be looming over my head. Or just spend $380 on the LCD+SDAC and hopefully be "set" for a while. Would hate to tough it out with a cheap DAC just to get a (marginally?) better amp. Maybe cheaper is better to get something that isn't scraping by, so I can hear what the AFCs/Elegias really sound like. Hoping I'll like one of them, but as Raketen mentioned, neither are really made for rap/hip-hop. I don't think of myself as a bass head but would like a little more bass bunch than what I'm hearing. Then again, I'm driving ~$800 headphones on my computer right now so I might not be getting the real story yet.

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 14
The Elegias are not difficult to drive. My Focal Elears are slightly more difficult to drive than the Elegias. I don't have to turn up my JDS Labs Atom amp much, and I'm using it on low gain.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 14

I don’t know who said the combo is forever stuck together but this is not quite right as the LCX has balanced and single ended inputs so you can use it as a stand-alone amp if you decide to get a different dac in the future. Haven’t heard the LCX myself but others that own one says it is really close to my original Liquid Carbon when they heard mine . I just love the amp with many of my headphones and also does a great job at running the Abyss so it also has power as well as the Cavalli slight warmth and goodness.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 14
I'd agree that a stand alone DAC in the $100 range and spending the rest on a separate amp would be the best way to go.

Good selection of $100 DACs. I will say for a $300 or less price point amp, I'd highly recommend looking into the Garage 1217 Project Polaris... has options and features you simply won't find on other amps (even many $$$$ level amps) and spectacular build quality. Size of 3CD cases stacked together and has massive power output and clean smooth, slightly warm sound from the JFETs circuit. If you want sterile, neutral 'reference' sound it's not the amp for you... but if you don't mind the amp warming things up a bit it's absolutely fantastic.

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 14
Is there really much difference in the sub 200 DAC, e.g. Schiit Modi2, ODAC, HIFIME 9018D USB DAC, Fiio E17K Alpen 2?

Im new to the the board and pretty new to decent-sounding home audio. Ive been building myself a pair of TriTrix MTM TL Speakers from a kit I got from Parts Express, Im making a gainclone amp LM3886 from Chipamp, and Im looking to set up a reasonably-priced, home audio setup. Im looking at DACs and was wondering if Im going to notice any difference in lower-priced ones. Is there a standout DAC in the 100 - 200 price range? I like making things and am up for getting a pcb and putting it in a nice enclosure, but if its not much more to get something ready-made, its not essential.

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 14
Is there really much difference in the sub 200 DAC, e.g. Schiit Modi2, ODAC, HIFIME 9018D USB DAC, Fiio E17K Alpen 2?

Im new to the the board and pretty new to decent-sounding home audio. Ive been building myself a pair of TriTrix MTM TL Speakers from a kit I got from Parts Express, Im making a gainclone amp LM3886 from Chipamp, and Im looking to set up a reasonably-priced, home audio setup. Im looking at DACs and was wondering if Im going to notice any difference in lower-priced ones. Is there a standout DAC in the 100 - 200 price range? I like making things and am up for getting a pcb and putting it in a nice enclosure, but if its not much more to get something ready-made, its not essential.

I'll be honest, in my experience you're right. $100-200 won't do that much to get you a DAC that'll make any meaningful difference. This is coming from somebody who prioritizes DACs over all over devices in the chain. In that range, your best bet would be investing more into headphones and amps.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 14

Schiit Modi 3, and Topping D10 or D30 all measure extremely accurate. I would choose one of those. The D10 is currently $65 on drop.com, so hard to beat in your budget range as a best value, IMO.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 14
If you're not using sensitive IEMs with it you can get the monoprice THX desktop for $100 more, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back